Sunday, July 25, 2010

Banana-filled French Toast


This morning was such a happy morning! Sure the weather was doing its best to put a damper on the day and sure the Ezzy, the mutt was going stir-crazy after being cooped inside for days due to rain but I loved this morning! My sweet daughter and her husband were here for an overnight visit and come this morning, I was able to cook breakfast for them. I know this is weird that I get excited over cooking for someone but the two men in my daily life (husband and youngest son) have set tastes in foods. This does not allow me any creativity at all in the kitchen as I am usually bound to basic meals for them. Foods devoid of full flavor enhancing herbs and culinary skill. They want base foods..meat and potatoes..potatoes and meat..and then perchance..meat and potatoes. So this morning it was a delight to try a new recipe! It is my philosophy that if you find a recipe you like..change it! Add things that make you happy and take out any that do not. So here is my version of....


Banana-filled French Toast

8 slices of whole grain bread
4 bananas
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons margarine for frying
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 freshly sliced peaches
4 teaspoons Confectioner's sugar
4 teaspoons honey
Place eggs in an 8X8X2 inch bowl (or flat pan), add milk, vanilla and salt and beat with a fork until well mixed. Set aside. In small mixing bowl, place the peeled bananas and smash them with either a fork or squish them with your fingers if you are not squeamish about this. Once they are well mashed, add the nutmeg and cinnamon stirring well. Place about a tablespoon of margarine in a frying pan and heat until sizzling. On one slice of bread, heap several spoonfuls of the banana mixture spreading almost to the edges. Keep it about 3/4 to 1 inch thick..top with another slice of bread. Dip this sandwich into the egg mixture, coating well on both sides. Gently lay this into the skillet and fry for about three minutes on each side. After removing from pan, place on a plate and cut the French toast sandwich in half diagonally. Sprinkle lightly with Confectioner's sugar. Arrange the peach slices and blueberries on the plate and then very lightly drizzle with about a teaspoon of honey. This will make four nice fat French Toast sandwiches.

I hope you enjoy this recipe..it is my take on Paula Deene's version. Like I said before, I do change a good bit of the ingredients so if you want to see her recipe, please visit her website. She is an amazing cook!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think my first post on this went through, so I'll try again. This breakfast was AWESOME! I had such a great time visiting, and I wish we could have stayed longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was most special because I was able to share it with you! I wish you could have been here longer too, maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete