Friday, April 29, 2011

Long Live the Queen!

The Royal Wedding has been the talk of the world! The hoopla attached to this event was amazing. There was a media frenzy that eclipsed all other news. After weeks and weeks of newsworthy items such as "THE DRESS", "THE CAKE" and "THE BRIDESMAIDS", I was almost relieved when the Royal Couple finally said "I do". Not that I was one of the many that got up in the middle of the night to watch the TV coverage or not that I even watched the steady stream of replays afterwards..I don't watch TV..but! It did get me to thinking about a rose! In the garden, one of the first rose bushes that I attempted to grow was given to me by my husband's uncle. Uncle Stanley always has a yard full of roses. Along the roadway, he has a row of beautiful, pink roses and this was the one that he shared with me. A beautiful, pink rose that has done well for the past twenty years in my garden. It always blooms and never fails to bring a smile to my face when I see the first buds opening. This beautiful, pink rose is called the Queen Elizabeth! I thought it would be appropriate to share pictures of this lovely rose in honor of the Royal Wedding!


The Queen Elizabeth Rose is usually one of the first to bloom in the garden each Spring. It is one of the most popular roses for home gardeners to grow.


The Queen Elizabeth Rose is a grandiflora rose that usually has single buds on a long stem making them perfect for cutting. They look absolutely elegant in the vase and equally as lovely in the garden.

Queen Elizabeth II was born on April 21, 1926 as Elizabeth Alexandra Mary and in 1952 this rose marked her ascension to the throne. Long Live the Queen!.......And long live the Queen Elizabeth Rose in my garden!


No comments:

Post a Comment