Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Meaning to Invasive Species!

I usually do not worry about "invasive plants". I figure that these plants might just be employing the old "survival of the fittest" mode of living. I yank out those that I do not like, leave the rest. So far, this has worked well.....so far. Then today..one species of plant really rubbed me the wrong way..or rather poked, scratched and stabbed me the wrong way! I had noticed that the Day Lilies on one side of the terraced gardens in the front yard were looking a mite sickly. These plants were not nearly as lush and green as their counterparts on the other side of the terrace. Hmmm..not good. I had the brilliant thought to pull and relocate the bulbs. I gathered a hand fork, trowel and box and set to work to remove the bulbs. I knew that there was the nasty Cogongrass intermingled with these Day Lilies but had always just weeded it whenever it showed the green blades. I use the word blades here in the true sense as in knife blades. These things will cut you given a half of chance. Not so much after they break the ground but the new shoots that are just under the surface are razor-sharp. I started digging and soon found that there was an interlacing of Cogongrass roots. Not good..not good at all.


The Cogongrass is a prolific weed that when it blooms can send thousands of seeds through the air much like a Dandelion. These seeds then sprout and once rooted grow rhizomes that have sharp spur-like sprouts. These spurs are so sharp that when you reach down to pull the roots, your hand is literally attacked! I kid you not when I say it feels like being attacked by the spurs of a mad rooster! As I weeded today, my hands and arms were bleeding in several places. Still, I pulled. The Day Lilies are now all in a tub of water awaiting their new home. I must first go through their rhizomes to remove any residual Cogongrass rhizomes..not a fun job!


There is a herbicide that I can use on this plant but personally I am more afraid of the spray than of the Cogongrass. This spray, I have been told, contains arsenic. I am not sure just how much arsenic but I refuse to contaminate my little piece of this Earth with another poison. Arsenic can seep into the well water, and since we have a well..hmmm..makes sense not to poison that. Arsenic can runoff into the Bayou and Bay..hmmm..not sure I need to poison that. Arsenic can be absorbed into vegetables and fruits..hmmm..again, I do not plan to ingest arsenic. It can also be absorbed through the skin..wow..sounds like something that I just plain do not want to use! So..I pull. I bleed..but I pull. Hey..there we go..new name for this job! Weed and bleed!


Now the new meaning to "invasive"! While digging out the Cogongrass infested Day Lilies, I came across several of the lily rhizomes that were pierced by the Cogongrass roots. Instead of moving around whatever was in its way, it stabbed right through. Sort of a brutal torture tactic was inflicted upon my Day Lilies. This made me aggravated. I ripped out roots with renewed vigor! I was a woman on a mission. I will save my Day Lilies! Some way..some how..without arsenic! There has to be another way! Until I find it, I will continue to pull..and continue to be scratched.

No comments:

Post a Comment