Friday, July 20, 2012

Beauty in the Marshes!

Over the past decade or so, our marshes have become dotted with a number of plants that have made themselves quite at home.  Sedge Grass, Cattails, Wool Grass and the dreaded Cogongrass now reside right along side of the marsh grass after being washed in by hurricanes and tropical storms. Some of these, such as the Cogongrass, I do my best to eradicate as they will soon take over and ruin the marsh and everything in the area.  Others, I allow to just do their own thing as, even though they are new to this area, they are not quite as invasive.  One of these is the Wool Grass.  I am not certain as to the identity of the grass but some of the old-timers in the area have assured me of the name..so Wool Grass it is!




The tall reed-like grass is quite attractive at any given time but I particularly like its looks when it is blooming and seeding.  The tall, graceful heads dance in the Bay breeze and give a bit of interest to the usually mundane marsh grass. The plant can grow to six feet tall and will clump at the root base as it multiplies.  The seeds spread by being blown on the winds to sprout in new areas.  Many birds, especially the Red-winged Black Birds love the seeds and can often be seen hanging upside-down from the clusters of seeds. That in itself is enough to make me like this plant but the Marsh Wrens also nest in these clumps of reeds.  They build a domed nest that is woven of sedges and lined with soft grasses.  A side entrance hole is made and the nest is suspended between reeds.  These wrens do not usually eat the seeds but feed basically on spiders and insects found in the surrounding marshes.




Now comes the exciting part about the Wool Grass!  I have been told that these grasses can be used in weavings!  The artist in me hopes that the seed pods will drop and create more plants so I can perhaps some day harvest enough to attempt a project!  I am always interested in renewable resources to use as mediums in my creative endeavors!  According to all I can find to read about the Wool Grass, it should be durable enough to be used in making not only mats and rugs but also pliable enough to use in weaving handbags. These fibers can be colored with any number of the natural dyes that I currently use.   In my mind's eye, I can envision all sorts of wonderful items made with dyed Wool Grass!


No comments:

Post a Comment