Sunday, July 22, 2012

Making Progress!


Several months ago, I wrote about a Maine Coon Cat that had suddenly appeared in the woods behind the peach orchard. This cat was quite wary and stayed a good distance from us.  The slightest of movement would send it scooting under the palmettos or back between the ferns of the creek.  I was determined to befriend this critter and kept a bowl of food handy for it.  Each day the food bowl moved closer to the house until finally I noticed that the cat was climbing up on the porch to eat at the back door!  Progress had definitely been made but I still could not say I had made friends..the cat still did not trust me.  I was determined and had now recruited Michael in on my quest.  He had far more patience than I and was a bit more tolerant of the swarms of mosquitoes that hovered near.

Ms. Put in the foreground with Boo behind her!  Boo has finally gotten brave enough to come eat!


Today was a good day!  I wandered out to feed Ms. Put, our sweet little kitty, when I noticed that the Maine Coon Cat was right at the edge of the porch.  The cat was waiting for me!  This excited me to no end!  It seemed far more trusting of me now! The time had come to name this critter!  Not knowing if this is actually a male or female, I decided to go with a gender neutral name.  "Boo" came to mind since the cat was so scary of me!

The stray Maine Coon Cat that I have named "Boo".  I am hoping to  befriend this one soon!


Boo is quite a large cat..nearly twice the size of Ms. Put.  She seems to like this one since she has not torn it to pieces!  Normally, Ms. Put is quite fickle about her friends and has a tendency to tear into any thing not the size of a black bear!  She is one feisty cat!  Boo seems to be acceptable as Ms. Put will even go so far as to share her food bowl! Wow!  Progress has been made with her as well! I am so in hopes that soon Boo will feel secure enough to let me pet him (or her!).  This seems to be such a nice cat!  I guess I have just adopted another stray animal.  My menagerie is growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment