Monday, July 30, 2012

Morning Glory..A Faerie Tale

When I was just a wee tot, there were many nights that I would spend at my grandparents house.  It was always fun but the least bit scary to be away from the security of my own home.  My grandparents were very doting and would never fail to see that I was well cared for and most pleasingly entertained.  One of the nightly traditions was a bedtime story.  After I was all tucked in under the covers, either Granddad or Grandmother would sit in the rocking chair next to the bed and recite some most interesting tale.  Grandmother's stories were usually some romantic little faerie tale while Granddad's always had a moral hidden in there somewhere and he always..always..made sure I remembered it!  One of the tales from Grandmother was a lovely story about the Morning Glory vine.




~It seems that there was a clan of faeries that lived in the garden.  One of these faeries was a frail, little girl named Glory. She was so fragile that her parents would not let her wander in the gardens except in the early morning hours as the hot sun would surely harm her.  This made the little faerie very sad.  She could never see the lovely flowers that would bloom later in the day after the bright sun made its appearance.  She only viewed the buds before the sun unfurled the petals of the roses, daisies and lilies.  Because of this, all of the other faeries started calling her Morning Glory.  They loved the little tyke and tried to think of ways to make her happy but to no avail.  Early one morning as she made her way back to the door of the little faerie house down under the Day Lilies, she began to weep.  She so wished she could dance among the beautiful flowers like the other faeries did!  Her tears fell to the ground and unseen to anyone, they turned to seeds.

The next morning, the little faerie started her walk as usual but this time she was in awe!  Every inch of the garden was in bloom with the loveliest trumpet shaped flowers!  Blues, purples, pinks and whites..everywhere she looked the blooms smiled down upon her!  The little faerie was elated and started dancing in the garden!  Every morning after that, she would race to the garden to play in "her" flowers and soon with all the happiness and active play, the frail little faerie was growing stronger. Before the end of summer, she was healthy and no longer needed to be sheltered from the sun's rays.  Still, the little faerie would rise before the sun was up just so she could walk amongst the Morning Glories and appreciate their short bursts of beauty that was meant just for her!~




I, too, like to rise before the sun and stroll through the gardens.  It is a quiet time when I feel that the gardens are just for me.  This morning, I noticed the lovely Morning Glories had taken over the Bridal Wreath bush and had turned it into a sea of purplish-blue! I smiled!  I was enthralled and felt a bit like that little faerie in Grandmother's tale.  I wanted to dance in the garden..to play among the blooms..to love life and cherish all that the Bayou has to offer.  I am glad those little Morning Glories made me recall Grandmother's bedtime story..it, too, makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment