Monday, July 9, 2012

Possible new garden?

Anyone who has been following along, knows that I am fostering my daughter and son-in-law's puppy until they can move into a house that has a fenced yard.  At the moment, they live in a townhouse that was not built with large pets in mind.  When they rescued Sunny she was a mere pup but, boy, has she grown!  At about six months old, she is nearly as large as Ms. Ez!  Ms. Ez is considered a large dog being a Labrador Retriever but something tells me that this (as to yet) undetermined breed of puppy is going to surpass the Lab size by far!  She is growing like that proverbial bad weed!  I think she is in one of those growth spurts that sends her shooting up by several inches in height nearly overnight!  Whereas, I used to separate the dogs from rowdy play, this past weekend, Sunny proved she could hold her own against two large dogs.  My son and daughter-in-law were here with their Boxer, P.J..  He and Ms. Ez are just about the same size and weight.  They play wonderfully together and are seemingly best friends!  Ms. Ez is always so happy to see her friend after their long separations and wants to romp, play tug-o-war and chase the ball with P.J.! Sunny had different ideas!  She wanted to be the center of attention with both of the adult dogs.  She would race at them, jump over them, crawl under them, nip at them and generally make a nuisance of herself!  She never gave them a break!  Both of the adult dogs were soon worn to a frazzle!  They just wanted to take a snooze in the shade but Sunny was having no part of that!  Around and around the Rose Garden she raced!  After irritating one of the older dogs enough, they would chase after her!  This went on each time I let them out to play!  Granted all three dogs were having fun but I do think P.J. and Ms. Ez would have welcomed a much more leisurely pace!

Sunny, the (white) puppy is nearly as large as Ms. Ez!



All of this racing about did not bode well for the lawn in the Rose Garden.  My beautiful green sod became a well tilled garden area!  Sunny's huge paws dug deep into the ground.  P.J. and Ezzy's huge paws did the same until there were deep ruts gouged out of the grass.  Soon my lawn resembled some gopher-pocked yard!  Holes!  Huge holes were dug into the ground!  No more grass..I think Sunny ate most of it and the rest was sent flying as the dogs chased one another!  I had been proud that I finally had green grass and not weeds but no more.  What was I to do?  I had to keep Sunny confined in the Garden as she is a Master Escape Artist!  The other two can run free and will return when called.  She, on the other hand, bolts and refuses to come within a hundred feet of you when she escapes!  It seems to be some devious game she loves to play!

The lovely lawn is now plowed by doggy paws!  Their playtime has ripped out most of the grass and left huge holes!



With all of this plowing of the lawn in the Rose Garden, I seem to have two options.  I could carefully refill each of the holes after play time and hope the grass regrows overnight or I can just turn the area into a new garden!  After all, who needs grass?  It just has to be cut every week or so anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment