Saturday, July 7, 2012

Saltwater in our veins!

History has an uncanny way of repeating itself whether we want it to or not.  Sometimes this repetition is a good thing as in the photos that I came across earlier this week.  Fishing has always been tied to our family in one way or another so it is not unthinkable for the history in question to also be tied to fishing.  Some folks say it is "in our blood".  I am beginning to truly believe that old adage.  I was going through several boxes of old pictures when I stumbled upon a picture of my dad and my oldest brother.  It was years ago, when my brother was a wee tyke.  This picture shows him squatting near a large, metal bucket.  He is peering over the edge and seems to be reaching for something deep inside the pail.  What is in the bucket, one can only imagine!   In the background of the picture, Dad is throwing a cast net.  He is standing in about ankle-deep water just off the beach front here in Biloxi.  Before he died, Dad used to tell me stories about shrimping just like this so I believe that this was one of those times.  My brother probably stayed on shore with Mom as Dad waded out with his net.  A meal was there for the catching, plus the family had a nice outing!

    


Then some untold years later, I took a picture of this very same brother.  In the photo, he is throwing a cast net much like Dad was doing!  Yes, he was in a boat up in the midst of the Bayou but still, the scenario is so similar.  Both were fishing (or shrimping) for their meal.   The thrill of being on the water, whether in the boat or wading, has been passed down from father to son.  The ingenuity, the ability and the desire to be more self-sufficient was also passed through the generations.  It is there..it is in the blood.




I think our whole family has "saltwater in our veins".  We all love to fish, crab and shrimp.  We can all throw a net, catch the bait, rig a line and gig a flounder.  We all know the difference between a white trout and a speckled trout, can tell you when the next high, low or neap tide will occur and would rather be catching a fish than eating one at a fine restaurant!  We all have our lucky fishing hat, shirt or in my case dog!  We all learned the lessons well from Pop.  Yep...I do think this whole family has saltwater in its veins...and I wouldn't have it any other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment