Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sora has returned!

Sometimes I wonder about the folks who write the birding reference books.  Most of the times, the information is highly correct but then..I get a bird here on the Bayou that is all out of kilter!  According to every bird book I checked, the Sora is supposed to be long-gone from this area before late spring.  The bird might make an appearance in the winter but it should migrate north of here to breed.  Here it is summer and my little friend has dropped in for another visit!  I was so happy to see the little guy!  The Sora is easy to identify as it looks nothing like any of the other shore birds.  It has a very distinctive bill which makes it stand out in the crowd!  Each time I have seen it, this bill is what catches my attention.  You see, it is bright yellow!




While I was watching the Sora, I noticed that it was feeding on the smallest of Fiddler Crabs.  It would dart back and forth over the mud chasing the crabs trying to catch one before they would disappear down their holes.  Each time, it would choose one that was a smaller crab without the large "fiddle" claw.  If by mistake, a large one was captured, the Sora would hold the crab with its foot and proceed to rip the large claw from the body.  Only then would the bird devour the crustacean.  The claw would be discarded to the wayside and the chase would begin again!  Over and over, the bird would aim for the small, clawless crabs.  Perhaps the large claws were just too difficult to swallow and too much trouble to crack.  For several mornings, the bird stayed close to the pier.  It would eye me cautiously for a few minutes before turning its attention back to the task at hand.  I would then settle in to watch the show.




Another bit of confusing or misleading information in the bird books..the Sora is found in freshwater marshes.  The last time I checked, the marsh around the Bayou is a saltwater marsh.  My little Sora seems to enjoy its romp in the salt marshes.  It, also, seems to enjoy its game of "Hide and Seek" with me.  Many times it stays partially hidden in the thick of the marsh.  It will poke its head out just enough to let me know it is in the territory but will scurry back into the depths of the Bayou if it feels invaded.  A very secretive, little bird, I feel quite honored that it allows me to photograph it at times.  Its fickleness makes these times rare so I have to be ready when it decides to come out into the open!  Sora, Sora,  you make me smile!  I am glad you visit the salt marshes of the Bayou!


1 comment: