Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tree-dwelling Antlions!

Have you ever noticed how trees are so full of life?  Not only is the tree itself a living thing, it plays host to so many other beings!  We see the squirrels and birds that scamper and flit about on the limbs but there are many unseen critters that dwell in the trees.  If you are lucky, sometimes one of these unseen critters will move just enough to be noticed.  On Friday morning, a slight movement caught my eye.  Then...nothing!  I began to think that I imagined the motion.  Easing closer to the old hickory tree gave me a much better view.  Still...nothing!  I scanned the area where I thought I had seen something but only saw bark.  I was just about to give up when my eye caught a glimpse of pink.  Pink?   Tree bark is not pink.  I focused my eyes on the rosy color and was surprised to see a most unusual bug!  This looked a lot like a damselfly but...well, different! 
 


Always keeping my trusty camera in hand, I took numerous pictures of the critter.  It stayed in one spot which was most helpful in the photographing!  For almost thirty minutes, I stayed by the old hickory tree.  I suppose my brother, who lives next door, thought I had grown quite fond of this tree. He was cutting his grass all the while I sat and stared at the tree trunk!  The insect stayed put other than flexing its wings every now and again!



After heading inside, I researched all of the insect books.  I looked for dragonflies, damselflies and mayflies but for the life of me, could not find anything that resembled my bug!  I resorted to the computer!  There I posted a picture asking if anyone recognized the bug.  One of my son's friends was most helpful!  Jacob Porter quickly found the answer!  He informed me that this insect was not a damselfly at all but rather the adult form of an antlion!  The true name is one of those unpronounceable scientific names...Glenurus Gratus.  I have always associated antlions with those tiny funnel-shaped holes in the sandy areas around the house.  When I read about the G. Gratus, I was surprised to find that although it is an antlion, the larva is a tree-dweller! I had no idea!  This was truly one of those unseen tree-dwelling critters!  



I marveled over my find!  The beauty of the adult with its red body and pink and black wings was enough to keep me interested but to know that there are antlions living high up in the trees truly fascinated me!  Jacob was great about finding the identity of my critter and even offered to help me with any future unknowns!  I am quite sure that I will be calling on him again in the near future as now my interest has been piqued!  Bugs beware!  I am out to photograph you all!  (Hint..hint..Hubby....a macro lens would sure come in handy!)

Thank you, Jacob, for your insect identifying skills!   


1 comment: