Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bee-ware!

I hustled myself down the hill this morning in search for the Yellow Jacket Wasp nest that I knew was somewhere in the vicinity of the large clump of Sawtooth Palmettos.  Nary a one could be found on the palmetto dates that were crawling with them yesterday..for that matter, nary a date could be found!  The 'possums and raccoons must have feasted upon them last night!  Still, I found it strange that I could not find a single Yellow Jacket buzzing about the area.



Just as I was about to give up hunting for the hive, something caught my eye near the base of a large oak tree.  Could this be the wasps guarding the hole in the ground that leads to their hive?  I cautiously stepped closer.  It was wasps alright just not the ones I was hunting!  Two very large wasps were fighting among the roots of the tree.  They would tumble this way and that, then one would fly off for a few feet.  After a few moments of rest, the two were at it again!  Not once did they even seem to notice me as they were so intent on their battle.  I assumed this was a territorial battle but again, I could find no nest!   I was enthralled at this war of nature that was going on in my front yard.  So...I did my usual thing...I watched!  This battle was one that would not end until one of the opponents had perished.



These were not the Yellow Jackets that terrorize the hillside but rather (I believe) a couple of female Spider Wasps.  Their brick-red bodies and bright, metallic blue wings were not like any I have seen before.  They were huge compared to the Yellow Jackets!  The Spider Wasp does just what its name implies...it hunts spiders.  This in itself makes it a critter that I like!  I have been bitten by spiders far too many times to say that I am a huge fan of them.  I try not to kill any but if a wasp wants to do that job for me, I shall not complain!  Since Hurricane Isaac, there seems to be thousands of Wolf Spiders roaming about the hillside.  The high tide that came in with the storm washed them all from the marsh now they are disoriented and are trying to find new homes.  As we are raking and hauling the debris that washed into the yard, these spiders are crawling all over us!  Not fun!  The female Spider Wasp is a ground-nesting wasp that will excavate holes in which to lay her eggs.  After doing this, she will hunt spiders to pack into each hole. The wasp will sting the spider to paralyze it. Once the wasp egg hatches, the larva will begin to eat the still-living spider.   The adult wasps of both sexes actually feed on nectar and do not eat the spiders!



 I do wish the two Spider Wasps were not wasting so much time fighting with each other and would get busy chasing the spiders!  My goodness!  There are plenty..no need to get touchy and have a feud!

No comments:

Post a Comment