Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Curse of Queen Nefertiti!

I have fallen under the curse!  Am I the only person in the world that owns a multitude of most un-useful items in the world? (Yes, I am aware that un-useful is not an actual word but it has sort of become a catch phrase around here for the many items to which I am referring!)  Un-useful...(my definition).an item that has no apparent use..never had..never will.  Un-useful is not the same as useless.  Useless gives the connotation that something has worn out its use. At one point in time, the item served a purpose but through wear and tear has become not useful any longer.  Un-useful items are just that..un-useful.  There was never any purposeful use for the item from the start.  These things are created merely because there is a market for them.  They do nothing but sit upon a shelf and collect dust!  Which actually brings us to another name for them!  My niece, Heidi, refers to these un-useful items as "dust collectors" and I believe therein lies the only useful purpose demonstrated by said items.  They collect dust which in turn makes me dust the shelves.



I found one of these un-useful items today while cleaning the spare bedroom formerly known as my daughter's room.  There have been very few changes made to the room since she married and moved into her own home.  Not that I am keeping it as a "shrine" to her but rather that I really like the way she had decorated it.  It, like all of the Little Bayou House, is filled with weird and wonderful things.  Things that any normal homeowner would not be caught dead having in their house!  But being a just a tad on the..ummm..eclectic/eccentric side, I fill the house with whatever strikes me as interesting.  It is what makes me happy and provides for great conversation for anyone who visits!  Like I said, I found an un-useful item today but for the life of me, I could not toss it due to the CURSE!  The item is none other than a replica of the Bust of Nefertiti.  Old Queen Nefertiti was quite the beauty at some point but now this bust is a bit ragged.  There is a good bit of her nose that is missing and the paint is quite chipped.  I am not sure just where she came from but from the looks of her, she is as old as the hills.  The Queen stood (sat..or whatever a bust does) on Mom's piano for as long as I can remember!  Somehow, I inherited her.  (Oh, lucky me!).  Now what do I do with Queen Nefertiti?  I cannot just toss her in the trash..she is a family heirloom..for goodness sake!  I have offered her to different family members and to be quite honest..no one wants her!  They are not prone to want something that has no use!  I have tried my best to convince one and all that this is a cherished bit of history!  That if Mom kept the Queen then we should keep the Queen..but that perhaps it is someone else's turn to babysit the bust for a few decades!  There are no takers for the honor of caring for the Queen.  I am supposing that she will be put back on the shelf where she will reside for at least a few more decades.  Every time I dust, I will threaten to toss her and then put her back on the shelf.  There she will stay until years from now, perhaps one of my children will inherit the Queen.  Then they will be stuck with her! hehehe!!!!  The new owner will not be able to part with old Queen Nefertiti simply because she sat (or stood) on the shelf in the Little Bayou House for as long as they can remember!  The Curse of Queen Nefertiti lives on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment