Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy October!

Happy October!  I do believe as of today, fall may be at least trying to make an appearance.  This burst of fall-like weather may be short lived but I aim to enjoy every minute of it! The bit of coolness is invigorating!  AND...with October comes decorating!! Fall decorations are up and now that the calendar sheet has turned over, I do not feel so bad about adding in the Halloween decorations! Let the fun begin!!!  A couple of weeks ago, Mark and I went shopping for a few decorations.  If you remember, he bought the cutest owl! I pondered just where to put my owl and finally decided to redo the entire china cabinet!  The whole thing was emptied out and carefully filled with fall and Halloween items!  While doing this, I came up with the idea of decorating the Little Bayou House as very old place.  With all of the antiques that normally fill the house, it was easy!  A few touches here and there would be all it takes to turn this place into a creepy old house! Keep in mind, I said creepy..not gory!  Personally, I do not like all of the "gore-type" decorations on the market today.  Those are not scary..just sickening.  I would rather go for the implied creep factor than get carried away with some nastiness. So..I am slowly turning the place into something that may give chills just because the imagination allows it.



Still, the china cabinet is more of a pretty collection.  There are scarecrows, crows and pumpkins along with old lace, feathers and some wood carvings.  Thrown all together this does make for a quite pleasing effect.  One of the funkier things in the cabinet is merely a chalice that has a bit of dried Spanish moss in it, is draped with a few beads and is topped off with a small ceramic pumpkin and some fall leaves.  Why?  I don't know...I just thought it was appealing...so a pumpkin is sitting on a chalice!  Fun!



Another interesting piece is a clear glass pumpkin that I bought at the Goodwill Thrift Store.  I paid a grand total of seventy-five cents for this and really had no idea how I was going to use it.  Should I leave it empty or perhaps fill it with candy?  Should I try painting it to give it a bit of color?  What to do..what to do?  I got creative!  I filled it with moss and added a few fall colored Mardi Gras beads (yep...Mardi Gras beads in October!).  Filled like this, it seemed to be the perfect touch! A bit of creep added to something pretty!



Mixed in with the fall and Halloween items, I left a few of the glass platters and added quite a bit of  Mom's, Grandmom's and Great-grandmother's pewter pieces.  The dull grey color goes well with the bright oranges of fall.   In one corner, I propped up an antique children's book that is opened to pages depicting a children's Halloween party.  The kids are all dressed in the cutest costumes and are bobbing for apples!



Then there is that owl!  That most comical, black-glittered owl that fits so perfectly in with this whole scheme of things!  He stands proudly on the center shelf as if in full reign over this Halloween domain!  His glittery elegance speaks for itself!  This is something that I would have never bought for myself but since Mark stuck it in the shopping cart, it has become one of my favorites!



A few more items such as glass Jack-o-lanterns, old clocks, bits of antique lace and an antique vase filled with assorted feathers finished out the cabinet.  Now, this is ready for fall..for Halloween.  October is such a fun month!  Each day as I complete decorating another corner or do some fun, creative Halloween project, I will post descriptions or instructions!  Let the fun begin!  Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment