Monday, October 8, 2012

The Mansion and the Family!



Sometimes I worry about the mentality of some folks.   Not that I am the brightest crayon in the box or as Michael would mix it up and say.."You are not the brightest chicken in the tool shed!", but I can at most times use a bit of commonsense.  In keeping with the season, the Halloween decorations are sort of scattered haphazardly about the living room as I decorate.  There is one metal votive candle holder in the shape of a haunted mansion that my daughter ordered from Yankee Candle Company.  This decoration was sitting atop a box on the table as I had not decided where to put it as of yet.  This evening when I turned on one of the lights, the mansion cast a rather vivid shadow on the window blind.   A mere chance of lighting created a very unique shadow on my window blind.  Ooooh!  That is a bit creepy!  Being a tad camera-happy, I photographed the shadow..which, by the way, is not as easy as you would think!  Anyway, this all reminded me of something similar that happened just about this time last year.  Same window..same light but that time, a different shadow appeared on the window blind.  It was a shadow of the hanging light fixture..nothing as interesting as the mansion (complete with bats!)  Out came that camera and a few pictures later, I had one clear enough to post on the computer.  Not long afterward, someone asked me "How did you do that?"  Huh?  Do what?  Take a picture?  Nah, they wanted to know how I created the shadow....duh!  In all fairness, I suppose that relative assumed that the picture was another of my creative attempts at decorating for Halloween but...how do you make a shadow?  Hmmmm...darkness....light...some sort of screen (window blind in this case)..object in between light and screen...magic words...abracadabra!  Shadows!!!!  Hmmmmm...do you think anyone would believe that one?  So my shadow tonight brought a few giggles about something from a year ago.  Shadows area always amusing!



The decorating is taking a bit longer this year merely because I am trying to do about a zillion things at one time.  I only get to decorate when I am taking a break from the everyday chores, the creating of a special craft room (for me!), doing yard work and refinishing a piece of furniture.  I am also gathering together mountains of stuff for the Senior Citizens' garage sale that my sister is helping organize!  Well, ok, not a zillion but enough to fill my day!  The "Family Portraits" came out of the boxes today! I arranged them on the mantel in the living room and gave each "family member" their place of honor!  A bit of creepy cloth and a few knickknacks added a bit of eerie "antiqueness" to my vignette!  This mantel now has the monster crew on showcase!  I am sure if you look closely enough, you might recognize a few of these "family members" as we grew up knowing most of them from the movies or television shows!  These movie monsters add a quirky bit of creep to the decorations!



The fall-like weather that we have had for the past few days has made me more excited about the coming holiday.  Mark, Joanna, Elizabeth and Robbie have been decorating their houses as well.  Since we cannot easily just drop in to inspect each other's works, we have been sharing pictures and ideas.  It is not the same as being there, but at least we can share our efforts with each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment