Sunday, May 11, 2014

Do they.....or not?

  My son sent me two plants as a Mother's Day gift.  He said that perhaps they would help with the bug problem here on the Bayou. They arrived at the Little Bayou House well-packed in a large box with lots of the Styrofoam peanuts.  As soon as I opened the box, I knew that something smelly was underneath all of those annoying little things!  I carefully pushed them aside to reveal two very pretty plants.  Oooh!  Plants!  My son knows that I love plants of any kind and especially love ones that have some use.  The tag said that these were Citrosa or the "Mosquito Fighter" plants.  Alrighty, then!  This could prove to be very useful indeed! Living on the Bayou, we have our share of those varmints!



  I placed my plants in the window to await their transplanting into larger pots.  I figured that I needed them to get as large as possible if they were going to help dispel the plethora of pests.  They looked right pretty sitting there so even if they did no more than that, I was happy.  Plus, that smell started to grow on me.  I soon became to like the citronella aroma.  Not bad...not bad at all!  In fact, it was a rather nice change over the doggy smell of Ms. Ez!

  I pondered over just how and where to plant the Citrosas to help them do their best.  In researching them, I found a disclaimer.  Citrosa does NOT repel mosquitoes or any other bugs!  WHAT?  That is hogwash, I thought!  Surely these things must repel something!  The article said "Buyer Beware" and went on to claim that studies show that the mosquito repellent claim was not true. Then how can they be marketed as such?  The article went on to say that buyer should crush a leaf or two, rub it on exposed skin and try it.  If after a few hours no rash has appeared and no mosquitoes have bitten, then, by all means, use it!  What?  Rash?  Did I just read that this could cause a rash?  Yep.  That is what the article stated.  This could cause a rash in those that have allergies.  Again, hogwash!  A lot of plants cause rashes especially in folks with allergies.  So, back to square one.  Does this plant repel mosquitoes or not?  Nowhere could I find a positive answer.  I suppose that it is one of those things that may work for some folks and not others. Whatever!  I am going into this with full confidence that the plants that my son sent, will work!  I will be mosquito-free!  On the other hand, so what.  If they don't do all that is touted, I still have pretty plants and my son still cared enough to think of his mom and I am still blessed to have such a thoughtful family.  Life is good.....even if it is not mosquito-free!  (At least it is doggy-odor free!)


No comments:

Post a Comment