Friday, May 23, 2014

One of the Few

  I guess I am just one of the few.  To many  folks, the battle with bugs is most irritating.  Not just bugs that are detrimental to one's well-being but bugs in general are looked upon as threats.  I admit that I have been in a constant struggle with termites, fleas and Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers but, overall, I can tolerate most anything.  This tolerance makes me one of the few. I have no problem sharing a bit of my garden with caterpillars especially!  Those make me happy as I know that, given time, that caterpillar will turn to a beautiful moth or butterfly.  Their presence in the garden makes losing a bit of leaf worthwhile.  Plus, the effort spent handpicking the mushy critters is just not worth it.  I would rather share my garden.  In fact, I have gone so far as to move plants AND caterpillars into a protected area before unexpected early freezes.  It just makes me happy to know that perhaps I have done my part in helping the world see a bit of beauty. This beauty would be totally eradicated if left to some chemical-spray-happy folks.  "Eeek!  A bug! Quick grab the all-killing-insecticide and douse the plant!"  Yep, that sounds like some folks I know.  Nope, that does not sound one bit like me.  These same folks are the ones that will bemoan the fact that they never see butterflies or fireflies about their property.  Hmmmm. Imagine that!  Caterpillars are safe on the Bayou as are fireflies and any other friendly critters.  (Beware termites, fleas and Eastern Lubber Grasshoppers.  You are not on my "friendly list"!)



  One such caterpillar is the Orange Dog.  This is the "baby" that will become a lovely Giant Swallowtail butterfly.  The caterpillar is rather weird looking as it bears a strong resemblance (and smell) to bird poop! The ugly bug does evolve into the most lovely of butterflies, though! This past year, I noticed a good many of the leaves on the citrus trees were curling and were being eaten by some unseen critter.  It took a while before my eyes were able to focus on the culprit.  The Orange Dog caterpillar finally moved and brought a bit of attention to itself. Aha!  There you are, my friend!  I watched a bit and then went on my way.  This morning, I was weeding under the Satsuma tree when I had a delightful surprise.  Right there in front of my face, a Giant Swallowtail was emerging from its chrysalis!  Oh, my goodness!  I was spellbound for a good hour!  No more weeding for me! A butterfly was far more important to me.  Butterflies SHOULD be far more important to everyone.  I should not be one of the few who care enough about things like this. We all should do our part to use insecticides wisely and safely (if at all!).

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment