Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tragedy strikes the Bayou

  There comes times on the Bayou that life just seems unfair.  Perhaps it is just me.  I seem to grow attached to wild critters that roam and fly about the marshes and wooded areas so that when something happens, it tugs at the heartstrings a bit.  I know that life continues but at times things happen that make you wonder how critters ever survive at all. This afternoon saw us enduring a rather strong storm.  We have had torrential rains and high winds for the past couple of days but this afternoon's gale seemed much worse.  The winds were well onto tropical storm strength.  It made for a rough time but the Little Bayou House held and we were snug as a bug.  The critters sought shelter where they could but some of those shelters were not so safe. 

  Late afternoon saw a clearing of the skies for a short while.  Mark and I took advantage of this and headed out for our hike.  As soon as we stepped outside, we noticed something was amiss.  The tall, dead Black Gum tree had been knocked topless.  The entire top of the tree had crashed down on my new lawn furniture.  One of the chairs was smashed but I hardly noticed.  On the ground under the pile of rubble was a tiny, lifeless body.  Oh, my goodness!  My poor baby!  I reached down to pick up the small Redbellied Woodpecker when I spied his sibling.  The two fledglings had obviously came back to their nest to ride out the severe weather.  When the wind blew down the top of the tree, their home had become a deathtrap.  The two young birds were crushed beneath the very tree in which they felt safe.  My poor babies.  It was then that I saw Mama and Papa Woodpecker frantically searching the non-existent treetop for their little ones.  This family had endured so many problems during nesting only to have it end in tragedy.  My heart was breaking for the pair.  



  This is just one of the times that makes me realize how fleeting life really is.  The birds perished before their life had really begun.  Ours are just as temporary.  We are not promised tomorrow.  Please take time to cherish what little time there is.  Hug your family members and tell them you love them.  Slow down and take time to do something that makes you happy.  Smile.  Visit that elderly neighbor that sits for hours staring out the window dreaming of days gone.  Bring them some fruit, a flower, a homemade loaf of bread or even just a smile. Teach a child how to play hopscotch, marbles or sew a doll dress.  Take care of your health.  Be happy and thank the Good Lord that your life is filled with so many, many blessings....even those that you cannot see.  I am thankful for you, my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment