Monday, May 19, 2014

Watch your step!

  I don't know how many times I have been told to "Watch my step", "Watch where you put your feet" or "Keep your eye on the ground" in reference to being wary of snakes.  Not once...not once, however, was I warned to keep looking up so I would not get bit by one of those slithery rascals!  No!  I did not get bit! Thank goodness! But I did find one of my reptilian friends high above the ground.  


  I was out back checking the nonexistent peaches (most have been eaten by squirrels) when I heard a ruckus down near the magnolia tree. Hmm?  Either the blue jays had happened upon a hawk or owl and were letting the world know.  Those birds are great "watchdogs" for the rest of the birds.  If they see a potential predator in the area, a great cacophony is raised.  This is to let all birds in the immediate area know to keep a sharp eye on their nests and little ones.  I do not normally think blue jays are heroic critters but, in this instance, I have to admit that I sort of like them.  But back to the ruckus.  I slipped over to the tall oak tree and stared up into the branches.  I always love to photograph the hawks and owls.  They are both such majestic birds.  This time, however, I could find neither.  I stared and stared at the branches of the tree.  The blue jays were relentless in their calls so I knew that the danger was still near.  Hmmm?


  Then just a few feet above my head, I caught sight of a slight movement.  Uh, oh.  Yep, there coiled on a branch was a large chicken (rat) snake.  This sucker was about six or seven feet long!  Oh, my goodness!  No wonder the jays were going haywire!  A snake in the tree is a good reason for a bit of nervousness.  I watched the snake for a good while and was amazed at how adeptly it handled the tree limbs.  For having no arms or hands, that guy could climb!  


  To get to a higher limb, the snake merely stretched itself upward and then would slowly, ever so slowly, pull itself up.  Some of these limbs were a good two feet above the snake's head, yet, it made the climb look easy!  The snake's climbing abilities impressed me so much that I bid him good luck.  If the snake has the resolve to climb a tree, then he deserves a good meal.


  Encountering him made me think, though.  When I go out hiking, should I be looking up while watching for snakes?  This makes one wonder just how many critters go unnoticed by humans as we tromp around in their domain?


No comments:

Post a Comment