Saturday, November 11, 2023

Bye, Bye Greenhouse!

   Way back a few years, one of the first repair/building projects Son attempted was to turn a walk-through arbor into a greenhouse.  This was no easy task as the arbor was only 6ft wide and built on a slope. Still, he thought it could be done and, so, he did it.  He extended the width by adding more posts and cross pieces, used reclaimed windows that were given to us and some corrugated plastic roofing.  I loved my little "rough" greenhouse and so did my plants!  We all were happy campers with the time spent there together. This greenhouse also became an integral part of each annual Clue Hunt on the Bayou for the next 8 years. It was everything from a conservatory to a blacksmith shop!  Then came Hurricane Season 2020 and its incessant battering of the place.  We seemed to catch more storms that year than in any other.  One in particular lent a bashing to the greenhouse and my heart was broken.  Other things were more important at the time so the repairs were delayed until this month.  Since the roof and windows took a beating, Son decided to build a "temporary greenhouse" for the plants and a "swamp shack" for me.  A permanent roof replaced my light, airy, clear roofing and windows were reconfigured.  Goodbye, Greenhouse.  Sad...happy...all at the same time.


  While the little building is a work in progress, I did decide to put a coat of paint on the outside.  The rough planking reminded me of the old, cypress planks on Pop's shed so I tried to match the paint to what I remembered it looking like.  It is not perfect but once it weathers, it should be close.  Son still has to complete the back window and then do something with the floor but, so far, the little shack is giving me a whirlwind of ideas of how it is to be used.  One thing is for certain!!  The menfolk around here are NOT going to pile it full of their clutter!  Swamp shacks should be interesting not filled to the brim.  So long, Greenhouse.  You were perfect when first built but had seen better days.  Hello, Swamp Shack!  You and I have a lot of planning to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment