Friday, January 26, 2024

Mud Mouse?

   It is not uncommon to find mice just about anywhere.  The critters seem to have an adaptable lifestyle that allows them to move right into a spot and call it home. For a while, the area was kept quite clear of the little rascals due to the fact that the old Bayou Queen had a "liking" for them.  The old cat made it hard to find evidence of any rodent, not only in our yard, but the neighbor's as well.  She often would present them with "headless critters" as a token of her love.  The Bayou Princess, Ms. Nycto, thought she was high above such menial labor and the Bayou Prince, Bat (the cat) is too busy chasing feral cats and squirrels.  The mice are having a heyday!  Thankfully, they stay outside and have not ventured into the Little Bayou House...yet.  

  My "Mud Mouse" is of a different sort.  It has been rainy, drizzly, foggy...you name it...for the past week.  I love this weather but it does make hiking a bit difficult.  Mark and I did venture down to the pier through the drippiness and found that the north wind had pushed the tide far out from the shoreline.  This exposed the soft mud for about a good thirty feet.  It was upon those mudflats that I found my mouse!  There, as perfect as you wish to see, was the most adorable critter complete with big ears and beady eyes!  Oh, my goodness!  A mud mouse had decided to come to visit!  I just had to get a photograph.

  Pareidolia is a weird thing.  Years ago, Granddad taught me to "see faces" in everything in nature.  That spilled over to seeing "things" in just about any mundane discovery.  My mud mouse was a pure bit of happenstance.  Two clam shells were perfectly aligned by the waves to allow me to see a critter..not a live mouse, at all, but the reasonable facsimile of one!  A sealed clam as the head, an open one as the ears and an ideally placed barnacle as an eye.  Yep...a MOUSE!

 Ok, so I have always admitted to having a wild imagination and I guess this is as wild as it can get.  Most folks would probably see clam shells in the mud and not much more.  My sighting, however, tickled me and brightened the day tremendously...therefore, it cannot all be bad.  Folks, when things are a bit boring or not to your liking, look for something...anything...that can bring a smile.  Do not focus on the drear...make the sunshine...even if it is a mud mouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment