Sunday, January 7, 2024

The "Dead Crab"

   My brother is one of those people who truly appreciates any kindness shown to him.  This is quite evident when he receives my Christmas gifts to him each year.  My gifts have to be some of the most unusual to be gifted as I make him things literally out of "nothing".  Since we are no strangers to storms that wash debris into the yard and to catching our meals from the Bay, it is my habit to create a whimsical gift out of whatever I find.  He receives them with much glee and true appreciation as he claims that the work and thought behind the object far outweighs any money that could be spent.  I suppose...or...he humors me.  Still, each of the past gifts decorate his porch which is his main entertaining spot so I feel he may just find the things as interesting as I do.

  This year, I was in a quandary.  I had already used driftwood as a basis of his gifts for the past several years and wanted to do something a bit different.  A wondrous idea hit me when I was checking the crab pots and found that a blue crab had shed.  The soft-shell crab was destined to be supper but that discarded shell was meant for a "higher" purpose!  That would be my gift to Brother Jimmy!  Yep, he was to receive a "dead crab" this year!  After carefully cleaning the crab, I set to gluing it back to its original shape.  Then came the trouble of painting it.  Crabs, when they die, change colors.  I wanted this one to look as close to natural as possible.  The painting was no easy task because, by the time I did it, there were no live crabs to use in comparison.  I just had to wing it.  Once that was complete, I coated it with several clear protective coats and then tried to figure out a "frame".  Nothing fit.  Crabs are fat.  So...an old salvaged window from a discarded door became a suitable frame...of sorts.  A bit of rope found in the yard rounded out the decor! 

  While most folks would have sneered at my attempts, he loved it.  Since he does a lot of crabbing and soft-shelling, the idea struck a chord with him.  The simple gift now adorns his porch wall.  I am sure that all the folks that gather around are fully amused at the "dead crab" gift but I can rest assured that my brother loves his quirky gift...and perhaps his quirkier sister that has weird ideas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment