Monday, March 4, 2024

The Black Rose of Creativity!

  Back before Christmas, I started a project that was new territory for me.  The more I age, the more my kids keep after me to "learn something new"...so I thought to give this a whirl.  With the internet and a computer generated photograph as inspiration, I attempted to create a rose.  Since I am not very up on computer things, my rose was to be crafted from tin cans.  It seems a shame that so many cold drink cans just get tossed in the trash so I snagged a few and went from there.  Did I have a plan?  Did I know what I was doing?  Did it seem daunting?  Nope...nope and yep.  With an old pair of scissors and three cold drink cans, I started.  I am one of these people who sort of wing things and do not use a pattern. I just started whacking away at those cans.  Once I cut a goodly number of petals and leaves, I was left with an unsightly mess of tin pieces.  Paint and then 6 coats of polyurethane brought up my spirits and made me feel that I could do this!  (Whatever it was I was doing.)

  The project got put the wayside over the holidays and through a bout of illness.  Finally, I was inspired to tackle it again.  The rose was finished and showcased in an altered frame/shadowbox.  (I had to add depth to the frame so I added to the back of it.)  I was pleased with my finished product so it became a "gift" for me.  


  Since completing this project, several people have questioned my thoughts in the creation.  Why make something using nasty old cans?  Why make something that is just more clutter?  Why a black rose?  To answer all of those...why not??  It made me happy!

  The completion of the rose has the crafting urge in full swing.  After working through one lousy illness four years ago, a "pandemic", two hurricanes and a full-blown attack of termites, I am tired.  It is my goal to get back to creating, having fun and being myself again.  Perhaps the black rose...which is said to represent power, mystery and eternal love...is my key of kicking it back into gear.  Here is to creating...to happiness...to self love! I am ready!  I have said it before and I will say it again..Life is good only if we choose to make it that way. Now is the time!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment