Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Basil Lovers, Beware!


I just read where a fungus is killing off the Basil crops across the country! At first glance, this highly concerned me as I use a lot of Basil. Then as I read down further into the article, it stated that the fungus was not so much a problem for large farms but more for home gardeners and small herb farms. It seems that the large farms have access to fungicides that kill this menace. Ahh, now I feel much better! The commercial farmers can spray a chemical on their plants before sending them to market..wait..do I see any problem with this? Chemical sprays and I do not get along well in the garden. I try to use only natural fungicides and insecticides in the garden as I feel all this use of chemicals cannot be good for our bodies. The article, however, goes on to state that to prevent the fungus, plant the herbs with enough room to provide good air flow. Now that makes sense and no harmful sprays will touch the plants!
While on the subject of Basil, I am "babysitting" two nice large Basil plants for my son and daughter-in-law while they are out of the state. I must say these two plants appear to be quite healthy and well tended. I only hope that I can return all of their plants in the same wonderful condition as they brought them. I believe their Basil is Sweet Basil, the beautiful green-leafed type that is bought in the produce section at the grocery store. This type Basil has a very pungent, sweet taste and is used in so many foods from chicken and fish to soups and pastas (and everything in between!). It is best to remember though, when cooking with Basil, to add it a the last moment before serving as heat will quickly destroy the flavor. It is also a favorite in herbal medicines and is claimed to have antioxidant and antiviral properties. It is used in home remedies to treat stomach ailments, respiratory problems and to reduce stress.
The only Basil that I have growing this year is Purple Basil. My Sweet Basil and Lemon Basil fell prey to the rabbits in the backyard. I have planted more seeds and I have high hopes of having an abundant crop later in the season. For now though I have the Purple. It is mixed in with the flowers because of it showy foliage. Purple Basil, like the Sweet Basil, is edible but has a much different taste. These plants were designed to create a beautiful purple leafed plant but along the way, they have lost much in the way of flavor. It is used more in salads where the color can be appreciated. This plant will run rampant in the garden but is easy to control with a bit of thinning in the spring. They seem to require a lot of water and will wilt flat during the heat of the day if left too dry. A good soaking with the hose will rejuvenate them by the evening though so do not panic if the plant appears to be dead. Soak it good and leave it..it should revive quite rapidly. Another good factor is that this plant tends to reseed itself year after year if allowed to flower. I have had the mine for at least twenty years even through droughts, freezes and Katrina's salt water floods.

Another fine quality of Basil of any sort is that tests show that it is toxic to mosquitoes! I use it as a repellent for these pests and also to kill any itch if I do get bitten. Simply rub a fresh basil leaf onto the mosquito bite and the itch is almost instantly quieted. Something that is important to know when you live on a Bayou!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking such good care of our basil...oh, and catnip! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that you and Mark are the proud parents of twelve baby Basils! I will repot them soon!

    ReplyDelete