Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wishful thinking...


Today when I was taking my late afternoon walk around the yard trying to decide what jobs could be put off until things are a bit cooler, I came across something that lifted the spirits tremendously. There in the grass was a bright red leaf. The artist in me immediately saw the amazing colors, hues that paint cannot reproduce. Yes, I know that this was just one leaf plopped in the middle of green grass, but it is my first hint of Fall. And yes, before anyone scratches their head and thinks I have totally lost all of my marbles, I know Fall is quite some time off, yet. Still, it made me happy to see this leaf there just waiting to tell me that this summer heat will pass. I had the same reaction early this spring seeing the tiny swellings on the trees that soon became new leaves. The changing of seasons excites me..it is not that I do not like each season, I just like the newness of any season. I am ready for a change. This particular leaf is from the Black Tupelo Tree, one we have always called the Black Gum Tree. It is always the first tree in my yard that starts to change colors from the springtime coat of shiny green to the autumn coat of brilliant reds and oranges. Ones that I still (like I did in my childhood) cannot resist gathering to bring inside and place in a bowl or basket just to be admired for a few days. Eventually they turn brown and crispy and I ponder my sanity in gathering what should have been raked.
As I meandered further in the yard, I started noticing other things that reminded me of Fall such as the Marigold blossoms in their ruffles of orange and yellow, the Blackeyed Susans with their sun gold petals and the Scarlet Wisteria dripping with orange clusters of flowers. ( And before anyone informs me that Scarlet Wisteria is an invasive plant, rest assured that I carefully pick all the seed pods. True, I pick them to plant them, but I do pick them!) Surely though, with all this color, Fall cannot be hiding for long! My son just shook his head with disbelief when I informed him that he needed to get my decorations out of the closet for me. I want to bring Fall inside..I want to decorate my stairs with garlands of leaves..I want to bring out the scarecrows and pumpkins! I know, I know..it is still July. Sigh, but I can dream..can't I?


No comments:

Post a Comment