Saturday, January 29, 2011

Patience!


Recently several people have asked my advice on cameras and nature photography. I could make up some really important sounding advice to give them but I am quite sure that would not help one bit. Not that they would not follow the advice.. following it would be the problem. I have no clue about cameras nor the proper method of photography. I just take pictures when I see something that strikes my fancy and hope to goodness that the picture turns out well! To my way of seeing things, there is no set method. There are only two things that come to mind that might help ..patience and well..maybe only one..more patience. If you grab the camera and set out with the big idea of photographing "wildlife" you better be referring to some frat party, bar-scene or college football tailgate gathering. That type of "wildlife", I am quite sure, would pose for you. You, as the photographer, would not have to worry about frightening your subjects (although some of those subjects might frighten me!). In photographing the true wildlife (nature), it is more happenstance. You have to be in the right place at the right time. In my case, I take walks every day so that my animal subjects become used to my presence. These animals soon began to realize that you are not going to hurt them so they allow you to get a bit closer. They are more or less my friends and I am sure you have noticed that I refer to them as my "Bayou friends". I must stress though that I do not make pets of them since that would so interfere with the eco-life of the Bayou. I do set out birdseed and do hand feed the Night Heron minnows, but nothing else. I want the critters in their natural setting..that is where I find the beauty of it.

As for the type of camera to use..I have no clue! My cousin takes phenomenal nature photos with her phone! I have a camera that my husband bought for me five years ago. It is a Sony Cybershot 5.1MP Digital Camera with 12x "Steady Shot" Zoom and I do have the Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Conversion Lens. Huumph! Now, if you can make heads or tails out of that..have at it! I have no idea what in the world all of that means! After five years of ownership..I am still learning all the bells and whistles of this thing! I would love to say that I know what I am doing and I would love to be able to help anyone with their photography, but I honestly do not think my pictures are of any of my doing! I just have willing participants! My Bayou friends have come to know me and I believe they actually pose for the camera! I have no other explanation for the shots that I get! Take the little Rail in the shots here..she actually brought her brood out to meet me! I was just sitting on the pier when I noticed her come out not twenty feet from me. She stopped, looked at me and then called to her young to come out of the marsh. My son and daughter were there with me and I know the bird saw us as we were talking and giggling at the antics of the young birds.

So, yes, it has a lot to do with being patient, but also with making yourself known to the animals. I find if I "sneak" around to get shots..it never happens. I am relaxed, therefore, the animals and birds are relaxed. So definitely..patience and timing!

No comments:

Post a Comment