Sunday, January 30, 2011

Jumbo Shrimp!

Jumbo shrimp! Now there is an oxymoron for you! It makes me giggle just to think of it! Several things turned my thoughts to shrimp today..the first being shrimp! Exactly! I was cleaning out one of my big freezers today. It had developed a leak under it and I was told by my son to empty it out so he could take a look at it. Not mind you, that he would fix it..just that he would look at it. So I started moving things from this freezer to another freezer. Thank goodness that we have three because I would have never had space to put everything had we not. I transferred frozen packages for a good half hour. My fingers were like little red ice cubes by the time I finished! I was so glad he came back inside to help me with the last thirty or so packages because I think my fingers would have fallen off into the bottom of the freezer never to be seen again! Anyway..in the process of shuffling frozen blocks of whatevers (I should get a job building igloos!)..I came across a gallon bag of shrimp labeled "Jumbo Shrimp"! I snickered.."Jumbo Shrimp"! Definition of "jumbo"..huge, giant, gargantuan. A definition of "shrimp"..tiny, peewee, dwarf. Definition of "Jumbo Shrimp"..well..you get the picture! So I giggle on and Son "looks" at the freezer! "Umm..Mom..its leaking water under here." Now that we had that situation settled, we set about trying to "fix" the freezer. It seems that the drain plug in the bottom has started leaking. Drain plug? Why in the world is there a drain plug in the very bottom of the freezer? I fully understand that if a freezer is "defrosted" there would be water needing to be discarded, but shouldn't the drain be on the side so a hose could be attached. Then any water could be directed outside or at least in a pan? Nope! This drain is on the bottom with no way to attach anything! Any water leaks directly onto the floor..hmmm..good planning there! I checked the other freezer..Yep!..drain on the side with a hose attachment! Two different companies..ahh..one had freezer designers that used their heads..the other had freezer designers. Well, after all is said and done..the freezer is no better off than before except now it is clean! Son is now contemplating drilling a hole in my floor.......he better be teasing!

The other thing that made me think of shrimp..I worked on a gourd today! (And, yes, it has something to do with shrimp!) I had a request for a gourd with a painted shrimp. I had done one about a year ago with a shrimp design but had forgotten just how difficult they are to paint! My poor crustacean kept turning out to look more like it had just come from the frypan than the Gulf! Finally, after several false starts, the gourd is finished! One large shrimp and a net design complete this bowl. Actually..I am glad this one is finished!.......Jumbo Shrimp..snicker..snicker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment