Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black and White..and Red All Over.....

Today brought some good things..some bad. I was out and about taking in the sights of the day when I came across something that saddened me to the core. To say that I like crows somehow confuses a lot of people. The usual stigma attached to these birds extends far from the cornfields all the way to urban areas. Most still view a crow as a nuisance bird and extend all efforts to shoo them from the vicinity. Not so here on the Bayou. I like crows. I like to hear them in the tall pines..I like seeing the glint of the sun on their ebony feathers..I like the way they cock their heads to the side as if to see you better. I just like crows. I was saddened earlier today because I came across the lifeless body of one of these beautiful birds. First thought was that someone had shot it but after observing it closer, I decided that this was not the case. Obviously, it had met with a force larger than itself as its neck and one wing were broken. There were no other wounds. Perhaps it had been hit by a car or maybe a hawk or osprey had attacked it but whatever the applied the force had done its job. The gorgeous, black bird was dead..drained of life..no more to caw from the treetops. Today's "black"..the ebony feathers and the dark feeling of death. Rest in peace, my feathered friend.

On a lighter note..the pear trees are blooming! "White!" The heavily scented white blossoms gleamed in the sunshine today! Oh, how I wish this tree was in my yard! Its branches were simply covered with the large white blossoms. The constant buzzing of honeybees told me that there would be plenty of fruit replacing the blooms in the coming weeks but I will never get any pears from this tree. They are destined for consumption by every animal in the area. The tree stands on what used to be my uncle and aunt's property. It is now overgrown to the point that it is a haven for wildlife and this pear tree gives sustenance to the fauna living there. I remember how fine these pears tasted and would love to gather the crop later this summer but I know that there will be none for my hands to pick. Happy munching, animals!

Near the pear tree, I came across another "white"..these Narcissus blooms emitted such a sweet aroma that I hated to leave the spot. These bulbs have endured all sorts of hardships and still had the strength to push through the weeds and bloom! This area was once an impeccable garden wonder. The yard was once filled with luscious fruit trees of all sorts and flower gardens that would hold their own against any botanical gardens ever created. My aunt and uncle worked hard to keep the grounds in order and now the remnants of plants still try to flourish even through the worst conditions. I was impressed with the durability of this plant. The matted weeds that it had to push through just to bloom was several inches thick. The plants seemed to be trying to revive the beauty that was once here by refusing to give in to despair. How much more inspiring can a couple of little bulbs be? A lesson in survival or just one in persistence? I am thinking that I should dig up these bulbs and give them a home closer to my house!


Finally, the "red"..another bloom..or at least the appearance of a bloom. The Red Maples are in bloom or were in bloom. What is showing on the branches of the trees now is not the flower but rather the seed pods. These seed pods look similar to tiny "wings" and when the sun hits them, they are brilliant crimson! Later in the summer, the pods will darken to almost a brick red and then will come fluttering down to cover the ground. I remember years ago, I was enthralled to find so many "wings" dancing on the wind. To my young mind they were faerie wings. I would try to catch them thinking that if I succeeded then surely a faerie would grant some special wish for me. Yep..that imagination really soars at times! These red seeds are so beautiful against the bright blue skies like we had today! There are several large Red Maples down in the creekbed. I can see these from my kitchen window each morning as the sun comes up. Their fiery red "wings" brighten the Bayou!



Also as a "red"..the Summer Tanager! This tiny bird has been making its presence know here in the yard for the past several years. I can hear its calls loud and clear through the open windows. If I head outside when it is near, the Tanager will swoop down within arm's reach and sing its little heart out. I have not figured out just why it feels the need to be right next to me but I secretly feel a bond with the bird! How strange that this wild bird seems to call for me to come out and play!


No comments:

Post a Comment