Saturday, February 26, 2011

Kaleidoscope On The Bayou!

I have been fascinated by kaleidoscopes ever since I was a little child and well..I guess I am still fascinated by them. I own several and if I had my way, every room in the house would be filled with these amusing toys. One thing I did learn today..it is really hard to photograph the inside of a kaleidoscope while in action! The ones I have are too small..I need a bigger one!


The actual kaleidoscope is usually some sort of tube that contains mirrors and an assortment of loose beads or colored glass. Light passes through the beads at one end of the tube and causes a beautiful color pattern as it is reflected by the mirrors. The person peering through the other end of the tube is treated to a never-ending change of patterns and colors as the tube is turned. Kaleidoscopes mesmerize me. Always have and hopefully always will.


The sunrises and sunsets on the Bayou have been phenomenal recently. I do not know if perhaps I am seeing things in a different light (yes, pun was intended) or if perhaps I have just been granted my own personal art show by the Master Artist. Whichever..I intend to enjoy every minute of these displays that I can! I can fully see a resemblance of a sunrise or sunset to a kaleidoscope. On cloudy days, the sun's rays bounce from one to the other in an ever-changing pattern. On clear days, there is just a slow reddening on the horizon. Foggy mornings give a different effect depending on the density. Here on the Bayou, the water acts as the mirror reflecting the vivid colors that emblazon the sky.




















When you think about it..with the constant spinning of the Earth..the mirror action of the water..the light from the sun....whoa!..we live in a huge kaleidoscope!

















No comments:

Post a Comment