Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gourds, gourds and more gourds!

Today, I remembered that I did not post pictures of the latest gourd lamp. I finished this one a few days ago and have already started another! I must say that my order for lamp parts and wire was rerouted and has wound up somewhere off in the wild blue yonder. Somewhere..somewhere, there is a box of wires, sockets and chains sitting in a shipping warehouse that has my name on it. I suppose it will eventually arrive but until then, I purchased several lamp bases and will have to be happy with those.

This lamp is bright "peacock" blue with the "eye" feathers painted on the sides. The shaft of the feathers are beaded as well as the "eye". I am quite pleased with the outcome!


This next gourd lamp is going to be a bit more complex than the previous one. It is a much larger gourd so I can add more design and many more beads! It should be interesting to see just what the eccentric brain doodles on this one! Hopefully, it will be as pleasing to the eye as the others.


This last gourd is one I did several months ago, but it fit the theme of the post! The gourd was a commissioned piece so it was shipped out immediately and now resides in Canada! My difficult part of this gourd was finding the pine straw for the top rim. I resorted to gathering fresh, green needles and letting them dry by the fireplace for a few days before attaching them to the gourd. This made me start thinking that I needed to find some source of pine needles for future use. Ha! When I took down the pine garland after Christmas, I carefully stripped most of the needles from the branches, dried it and stored it in plastic shoe boxes! The amazing thing about this is that I was able to recruit help in stripping the needles from the branches! Great amusement! I now have a great supply on hand for any future gourds! (Plus! The pine needles smell great when the boxes are opened!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment