Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sourdough Bacon/Cheese Muffins!

Today started out with the most wonderful sunrise imaginable! I awoke early and peered out the window to see the sky starting to redden in the East so I jumped out of bed and headed to the pier. This being done without even my first cup of coffee! Ezzy, the dog, and I were able to get settled on the bench to watch the full sunrise! Until..she spotted a raccoon on the edge of the marsh..then it was all I could do to keep her from jumping in the mud after him! After a good hour on the pier embracing the new day, I headed to the kitchen to find some sort of breakfast! With the coffee pot brewing, I whipped up some sourdough muffins! Oh my! Did my kitchen ever smell divine!!!!


Sourdough Bacon/Cheese Muffins

3 cups all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
bacon 8 to 10 slices fried and crumbled***note~I substitute 1 cup of Hormel Bacon Pieces for the actual bacon and it works great!***

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease muffin pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. To this add the shredded cheese and bacon pieces..stir well. In a medium size bowl, stir together the eggs, starter, milk and oil. Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir until blended.

Fill the greased muffin cups about 3/4 full of the batter. Bake on center rack of oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan immediately as these have a tendency to stick if allowed to cool in the pan. Serve warm.

This will make about twenty-four muffins! Just as an added note..any leftover muffins taste great with Tomato Soup for lunch!



2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I misplaced my sourdough bacon and cheese biscuit recipe and was searching for one when I found your muffin recipe. I don't think I need to find that biscuit recipe right away, now. These are great! Thanks for sharing!
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TJ! I hope you enjoy them! Check back again as I will be adding more recipes soon. I appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete