Thursday, February 17, 2011

Poor Petunia!


I'm a lonely little Petunia in an onion patch,
an onion patch, an onion patch.

I'm a lonely little Petunia in an onion patch
and all I do is cry all day!

Boo hoo, boo hoo

Petunia blossoms from this past Summer!

I can remember my mother singing this little ditty back in the day, usually when I would be crying over something that did not amount to a hill of beans as children are prone to do at times. She would start nonchalantly singing this song and before long the tears would be dry and I would be singing along. It was a sad but amusing thought to imagine a Petunia crying. The song goes on a bit more but this was the part where I would chime in while she would be singing! Mom was one smart lady! She knew that the best way to cheer a mopey child was to divert the attention to something much happier. Perhaps that knowledge was just a thing learned by experience since I was the youngest of five children!

Lone Petunia with a die-hard Onion to the left.

Today while in the garden, I noticed that throughout the winter, a lone Petunia has been growing right next to a single onion. They both have flourished despite freezing weather. I immediately started singing the little song while Son looked at me and smiled.."I remember Grandma singing that!" Wow! That song is a memory! The petunia was from seeds handed down from Dad's garden and the onion..sprouted from an planted "top". My oldest son planted the top of a sprouting onion in a planter box that held my petunias back when he was still at home. It withstood hard freezes and hurricanes in that planter box. Two years ago, I realized the planter box had seen better days so I transplanted the onion into the garden. I did not intentionally plant the petunias in the garden but obviously some seeds were moved with the onion. These two have been growing side by side for years now and I do not have the heart to separate them. It would be almost like the parting of best friends..nope..can't do it! I am supposing that come Spring, the song's wording might have to be changed a bit, though. This past Summer, the Petunia bloomed prolifically and was covered with the tiny seed pods. If these all come up, I might be singing a different tune..something on the order of....

I'm a lonely little onion in a Petunia patch...........

Petunia blossoms!

No comments:

Post a Comment