Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Banana, Lime and Mushroom?

As I stepped outside this morning, the dew was still heavy from the light fog. Immediately, I was enveloped in the intense smell of bananas! After a few more steps, I came upon the source of the delightful aroma...Michelia Figa..Port Wine Magnolia..Banana Shrub. Whatever your favorite name for this shrub is, there is no denying that unmistakable scent! Incredibly strong enough to fill the yard..but subtly soft enough not to be intrusive. I grew up loving the smell of this bush. My grandparents had a large one in their yard as did my uncle and aunt. I spent many days at both places just breathing in the aroma..trying to save it for when I had to go back home. I would even try to break off a few blossoms to save but for some reason, they just did not hold the smell (and by the time I reached home, the blossoms were usually in pieces from being clutched so tightly..but I tried!) This particular bush was a gift from my oldest son and daughter-in-law. He remembered the bush that was at my uncle's house since he, as I did, spent many a day there. It was just a place that was always so welcoming and the Banana Shrub was only one of the enticements of the place! Michelia Figa aka Banana Shrub aka Port Wine Magnolia actually does belong to the Magnolia family. It usually gets around ten to twelve feet tall, is an evergreen and has creamy white to wine red blossoms (hence the Port Wine moniker). It does particularly well in shade or partial shade and prefers a moist soil.

Earlier, as I made my way back up the hill from the pier, I noticed a splash of lime green against the pier post. This post was near the shore end and close observation showed the green to belong to a Green Anole. It was catching tiny marsh flies so was oblivious to my presence. Suddenly, it dashed to another post and extended its brilliant red dewlap..ahh..must be a lady anole somewhere near. I watched as the male tried to court the (unseen) female by flashing the dewlap a few more times then off he skittered under the pier. I suppose his ladylove was hidden in the grasses below.



I turned toward the house as I had work to do and the morning was quickly slipping away. Plans of what was on the agenda were bouncing around in the head so much that I nearly stepped on a toppled mushroom. I have no idea if I accidentally kicked it during my trek down the hill or if a squirrel had tried to make a meal of it but I was impressed with its beauty. As it lay there upside down, all of the gills were exposed to view. Since I rarely kill the mushrooms to peer at their undersides, I took advantage of this photo opportunity! It amazes me how planned out each living thing on this earth is. The simplicity yet complexity of a mushroom....

No comments:

Post a Comment