Friday, March 25, 2011

Kammie's Garden Writing

Some days my vivid imagination truly runs amok. It completely overtakes my day causing everything to be entwined into one long tale of curiosity. Today was one of those bizarre days where each thing that I encountered presented itself to be something other than its original form. This all occurred simply because of a conversation that I had with a sweet niece. She told me how she photographs "letters". These are just shapes that remind her of certain letters, whether it be something in nature or something architectural. Well, that did it! My brain was working overtime! This morning in the garden, I found so many letters that I probably could have written a book! I started snapping pictures one after another. Yes! There is an "S"! Oh, look! There is a "J"! Over there! A "B"! How fun was this! Letters in the garden! Sure, I had to practically stand on my head to see some or maybe squint my eyes, but the most mundane things started literally jumping out at me! Back about a month ago the letter "e" fell off the arbor and landed right in front of me (blog post of Feb.9th). I did not think too much of it at the time but now I realize that was just one of many letters of the alphabet that can be found hidden in plain sight, as the old saying goes!




















The first letter I found this morning was an "S". This was not hard as most scroll work has the letter "S" in the design. These letters were found on brackets and shepherds' hooks used for hanging plants and bird feeders. Not a big surprise there but still most interesting. Then as I walked through the arbor, a wisteria vine dangled precariously over the side. The vine was twirled into a beautiful "S" shape! A natural "S"!







































I continued the stroll around the garden..the wings of a metal dragonfly made an "X"! A fat "X" but still a perfect letter! I turned around and there on the ground were two metal arches. I had pulled them out of the rose garden the day before as I was weeding. A "B"! Oh, come on..use your imagination..it is a "B"..I can see it!




















On the bottom of a bird feeder stand..a "B" or a "K" or maybe even an "R" depending on how you view it..or if you were making a word..whichever letter you needed! Interchangeable letters! Now we are talking! The old plow handle became a "A"..if viewed sideways..squint hard..it is there, I promise! The "J" is one that I had to almost turn upside-down to see. A small hook used for hanging solar garden lights stood at the edge of the daylily bed! My "J"! Another "J" was found inside in the form of a fish hook!







































"O's" were everywhere! How could we ever survive without "O's"! Wheels, blades, table tops all were in this shape! I grew tired of photographing "O's"! By this time, the gnats decided that I would make a dandy lunch and started munching on my blood! Time to head inside!




















Once inside, I found "M" formed by the handles of cast iron skillets. Two crosses were in "T" shapes and "I' was a pendant and wooden beads (turned topsy-turvey). And "N"was made by the legs of some shelf-sitting wooden birds. All letters..yet not letters! There were many more..formed with sticks, in clouds, and shadows..everywhere I looked there were letters. I think this might be a habit-forming hobby and I owe it all to my niece!..errr..Thanks, Kammie..I think. I could definitely write an entire book using these letters as long as only used words with a very few letters! Or perhaps I should go on another expedition scouting out the letters of the alphabet that are hiding in plain sight..just waiting to be photographed for some use. Sweet Niece actually uses her photographs in some fantastic art projects..perhaps I can convince her to share her secrets and teach this craft to me! Then at least I would have an excuse for spending so much time searching for things that only (Kammie and) I can see. Oh, looky there..a "Z"! Wait there is a.........


No comments:

Post a Comment