Monday, April 11, 2011

Meandering the Garden Path


The wind whipped the petals off of many of the roses today, which made the garden look a bit bare. There are many, many buds still on the bushes so in a few days the rose garden will again be dotted with color and not be just a thorn garden. I am having a problem with black spot on the leaves this year and have decided to try a "home remedy" of apple cider vinegar with a few other ingredients added in for good measure. Once I figure out just what all would be helpful, I will post a recipe for the spray.

Although the wind tore up most of the roses, the jasmine and Deutzia Scabra held their blossoms well. These must be some tough plants! The Deutzia Scabra is full of snow-white "feathers" and is a cutting off of a bush from long ago at my parents' house. Theirs sat at the corner of a large circle driveway and was quite massive. Mine, though, is still small even though it is about ten years old. It has had a difficult time growing. Hurricane Katrina literally ripped it from the ground and buried it under a pile of debris. There it sat for several months until I was able to dig it out. Once I located it, the Deutzia Scabra was replanted and then had to be moved again once the gardens were designed. All of that moving could not have created the best of growing conditions, but still, it blooms on, proving that this is one tough plant! Hubby calls it the "Feather Tree" because of the appearance of the blooms. This year once it finishes its bloom cycle, I will trim it back and root a few cuttings. It should do well.

Other plants that are holding their own through the wind are the Amaryllis blooms. As large as these flowers are, they are pretty sturdy. These were gifts from my son and daughter-in-law. The bulbs that they sent were of a nice, healthy size and have bloomed every year. This year, a few must have multiplied as I have four new ones in the garden. I love the soft rose color of this one named the "Susan". Also a few "wild" or throwbacks to the original Amaryllis have shown up this year. These "Old World" bulbs have sort of an orangish tint to them and are striped with yellowish-white. They are small in comparison to the others but I still think there is a place for them in the garden.

A bit further down the pathway are the irises. I am pleased to see that the purple irises are in full bloom and are loaded with buds, but for some reason, my yellows have never set any buds. I am wondering if I should lift them out of their bed and replant them in a better place. Perhaps the yellows need more water. I might try potting a few and sink them in the pond. I would love to make a "bog garden" some day. I think the irises, elephant ears and water hyssop would do well there. In the creek bed, ferns, irises, and water hyssop abound, so I just need to "create a creek"!

Then there are the weeds! Most people will call Oxalis a weed but I rather like the little blooms so I let it grow where it will. This is also known as wood sorrel and grows from a tiny bulb. It grows wild in the woods, ditches and fields but since it has taken up residence in my gardens, it is now a landscaping plant! I love the natural way this plant will spill out of container gardens, fill up empty spaces between larger plants and blend right in with the vegetables in that garden. The stems and leaves of the plant contain oxalic acid so some care should be used with the plant. Not that there is enough to cause immediate problems but still care should be taken. This little plant can have free rein in the garden as far as I am concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment