Friday, May 6, 2011

Another Treasure of the Deep South

Just mention the Deep South and automatically a number of things pop into the mind. There is a certain nostalgia about moss-covered oak trees, screened porches, Southern drawls, magnolia trees, jasmine and of course, mimosa trees! It seems that you cannot take a drive anywhere without seeing the lovely mimosa trees. They are in most every yard, along the sides of the road, on vacant lots and growing wild just about everywhere imaginable. The tree, itself, is interesting enough with its sprawling branches that almost make it seem to be multiple trees fused into one and its habit of closing its leaves for the night..but those blooms! Those wonderfully sweet smelling blooms that lend just enough perfume to the night air to make you long for a porch swing! I can remember climbing up in the mimosa tree at my aunt and uncle's house. My cousin and I would scamper up the branches like two little squirrels to pick the pink, puffy blossoms. There we would sit, sniffing our little bouquets! Memories!

The mimosa trees are in full bloom on the Bayou. Today when I was out roaming the hill, I could hear the tree buzzing! The pink blossoms are sending out their delightful aroma and are calling all of the honeybees from miles around it seems. It is a positive outlook when the honeybees are happy! I have been contemplating getting a few beehives so it is nice to know that the mimosa trees will provide a ready source of pollen! I have heard tell that honey will take on a bit of the flavor and aroma from whatever flowers the bees visit..oh my goodness..wouldn't that be quite the interesting honey for pancakes!

I also noticed a new visitor to the Bayou this evening. A small marsh bird that has not made its presence know before this week. If I am identifying this bird correctly, it is a Sora. The Sora usually is around fresh water, not in a saltmarsh. But it seemed to be quite happily nipping up the bull minnows in the tidal pools, so I suppose it will be ok. This tiny bird reminds me of a miniature King Rail. It is very timid, darting in and out of the marsh. It is such a cute little crackerjack that I hope it decides to stay even though according to the bird books, it is just a winter visitor. Hmmm..a bit late there, Sora!

No comments:

Post a Comment