Friday, May 13, 2011

'Possum or Fox?

Down near the marsh edge right on the Bayou, there is a massive bunch of grapevines. These vines are wild and are just sort of haphazardly growing wherever they please. They are strung across every small shrubby tree, soaring up the sides of pine trees and intertwining with the wisteria that is also wild and free. These vines are blooming and are covered with tiny green grapes. I am sure that most will be eaten by wildlife and not reach my jelly pot, but still the vine brings a smile to my face. The question is.."Are these 'possum grapes or are these fox grapes?" Or perhaps there is another question..."Is there a difference between 'possum grapes and fox grapes?" Or maybe even.."Does either one really exist?" I am not sure as to the answer of any of these. I do know that growing up, we used to pick a lot of 'possum grapes or fox grapes. The name just depended upon whoever was on the receiving end of the large bushel of grapes.

I recall one time where my brother and I went across the road to a large pecan orchard that was owned by a neighbor. Our father was allowed to plant corn in this field in return for keeping the pecan orchard free of weeds. Almost at the far end of this field, there was one huge pecan tree that had a grape vine that had totally covered the tree. No one ever tried to remove the vine simply because the pecan tree had never made any nuts and was therefore not important. On this particular hike, we noticed that the vine was covered with ripe grapes! We hurried back to the house to ask Mom if she wanted some grapes. Once she agreed to our mission, we gathered several bushels and proceeded back to the tree. He, being the better climber, scurried to the top of the tree and started picking the bunches of grapes. He would then toss them down to me and I filled basket after basket. It took us several hours to fill all of the baskets. Then a realization hit us...we had forgotten that he and I would have to tote these bushels of grapes home! The tree was at least a good third of a mile from the house and well..bushels of grapes are quite heavy for two youngsters to tote! Not to mention that we had three bushels filled! Boy..was Mom thrilled to see all of those lovely grapes..those lovely, little, seedy grapes! She made so much grape jelly! And made grape jelly...and made grape jelly..lots and lots of grape jelly. Hmmm..I wonder why Dad cut that vine out of the pecan tree the very next week? Fox grapes or 'possum grapes..Mom sure did not want any more lovely grapes...lovely, little, very seedy grapes! (But boy..was that ever the most tasty jelly!)

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in North Louisiana about the same time that God made the first dirt. My Grandparents gathered these grapes every Fall and they called them "Possum Grapes." They make excellent jelly and good wine--according to my Granddaddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nolan, Welcome to the blog! I have always called them Possum Grapes as well but have had some folks tell me otherwise. Little do they know! heehee! I usually stick to making jelly and have shelves full now! Thank you for confirming the name! Hope you enjoy reading about the little escapades on my little Bayou!

    ReplyDelete