Sunday, August 12, 2012

Angler of the Year!

Ms. Ez, the dog, has proven herself once again!  I have always taken her to the pier with me since she was just a wee pup.  She loves being there almost as much as I do and has learned the art of sitting quietly as I either fish or photograph the wildlife.  She has patience..sometimes far more than I do.  I have always said that she is an excellent fishing partner!  Now..she has proven this point to any nonbelievers out there!



Yesterday evening, I was on the pier trying to catch a bit of bait for the crab traps.  My line was in the water and the pole just sort of haphazardly resting on the bench.  As usual, I was more interested in the Brown Pelicans and the Green Herons than I was in fishing.  Not Ezzy.  She was so intent on watching that line that nothing was going to distract her.  Her gaze was fixed on my line.  I found this a bit amusing and wondered just what she would do if a fish did bite that hook.  My answer was not long in coming..sure enough, the line started slipping out from the reel.  Ezzy stood up and her ears pricked forward.  She was excited!  I pretended not to notice the action which confused her a bit.  She whined and danced a bit with her front paws.  Still, acting disinterested, I looked the other way.  This would not work!  She was having no part of me being lazy and not catching that fish!  She barked and nosed the pole!  This dog really did know that here was a fish on the end of that line! I grabbed the pole and jerked.  This action almost sent her into a frenzy!  She danced around while I reeled in the fish!   Once the fish was on the pier, she ran over to sniff it.  Then..to beat all, she backed off far away from the fish!  I think she sensed that this was a catfish and would harm her! Good dog! I unhooked my catfish and tossed it to the side.  That would make a nice crab bait!  The hook was rebaited and tossed out again.  I pondered what I had just seen and was curious if she would do it again.  Sure enough, she immediately took her post next to the rod.  Her gaze was again fixed on the line and she waited.  We did not have to wait long this time!  The line began spinning out from the reel and the dance started again!  This time she looked at me and I promise she was smiling!  My dog really loves fishing!  Another catfish was landed!



Ms. Ez is truly a fishing dog!  She somehow has learned that when that line is being pulled, a fish is on the other end. With each fish, she danced and alerted me that my pole needed attention.  I am proud of this old dog!  Her good behavior did not go unrewarded...she was given a dozen or so menhaden as a late evening snack!  Not only does my dog like to go fishing, she loves to eat them as well!  I wonder if I can ever teach her to wind in that reel????  Or bait my hook??  Good girl, Ezzy..you make fishing for crab bait more fun than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment