Friday, August 31, 2012

Goodbye, Isaac!

Goodbye, Isaac!  Not to say it hasn't been fun...but...well, it has not!  I am glad to see this visitor move on his merry way! AND...I did not extend an invitation for him to come back to the Bayou!  This morning opened with a severe wind and more torrential rains.  This did not come as any surprise as Hurricane Isaac has dumped a tremendous amount of water on top of us.  The tide had covered the pier for the last couple of days making it impossible for me to feed my bird friends or even check the crab traps.  There was just no way of getting out on the pier. There was no way to tell if the pier was even intact so venturing on it was out of the question!



Then late this afternoon, the winds died down to about thirty-five miles per hour, the rains started becoming less and less and the waters started receding.  Isaac was finally making his departure!  I was happy! My case of "cabin fever" was about to make a departure as well!  I could wander aimlessly around the hillside and investigate any damage done to my place.  Nothing much seemed to be amiss.  Sure, there are branches down, one tree has fallen and the usually marsh/debris line..all which will need to be cleared but nothing that was devastating!  I am so thankful!  We had been spared,the Little Bayou House had once again protected us from the wrath of another hurricane.



 I headed to the pier!  The huge section of the pier that was flopping around on the waves had settled nicely back in place.  It was almost back in line with the rest of the pier!  It is amazing what water can do!  Mark and Michael just had to push and pull a bit to get it situated in the exact spot to be renailed.  My pier had survived! A few boards will need to be replaced..a few more will just need to be nailed.  My little piece of paradise was back for me to enjoy!  Ahhhhh!



Once at the end of the pier, I could see a whole different side of this storm.  What did little damage to our place reeked havoc upon the many boats that were parked in the Bay area just outside of the pier.  This area has long been known as Magnolia Bend because of the many Magnolia trees that once lined the shores.  It is a deep bend in the Bay that because of its position can be a safe harbor for boats.  Many boat owners will tie their boats in Magnolia Bend before a hurricane.  There, the boats can usually ride out the storm relatively safe.  Not so with Isaac.  The boats were tossed about with the wind until most of them pulled up anchor.  One by one, these boats were washed up on the opposite shore.   Almost every boat had broken loose!  For being classified as a "Category One" storm, this sure did a lot of damage to marine vessels.  There will be a lot of action going on on the west shore of Magnolia Bend come tomorrow!  Somehow, those boats will need to be moved!  I turned back to look at our place..yep...I sure am thankful!  Thankful that we did not have a lot of damage.  The Little Bayou House held strong once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment