Friday, September 28, 2012

A Happy Discovery!

I was a bit worried that the raccoon was going to eat all of the persimmons before I was even going to taste one this season.  Every evening, the little rascal was up in the tree eating his fill.  Ms. Ez did her best to shoo him away.  He would scamper down into the marsh as if to say "You can't catch me!"  Late every afternoon, just before dusk, the scene would repeat itself.  I was hoping for a cool spell that would hasten the ripening of the fruit but that seems a bit too far-fetched at this early in the year.  Still, a few persimmons would be nice!  Again this evening, Ezzy chased the raccoon into the marsh and I checked the persimmons.  That little masked bandit had nibbled on each one that was nearly ripe...I nibbled on none!  After being disappointed and actually resigning to the fact that I might not taste a persimmon this fall, Ms. Ez and I continued our hike.  Behind the peach orchard, I spied something that looked a mite familiar!  There, beneath a sprawling oak tree, was a new persimmon sapling!  This must be the first year for it to bear fruit but it was simply loaded!  I am surprised that the raccoon has not found this tree!  This fruit was not ripe either but with several trees, I might be able to share with the raccoon.



I was in hopes of having a large cultivated persimmon tree by this time but with the critters eating everything in sight, I might have to forego any new fruit trees.  I fully understand their plight.  With all of the land around us being cleared for housing, the animals have no where else to go.  Their homes and food sources are being cleared along with the trees and underbrush.  The critters are homeless, scared and hungry.  My fruit trees and vegetable gardens have to look mighty inviting.  Michael and I are considering moving a few trees inside the Rose Garden where Ms. Ez will have a better chance at protecting the fruit.  He has ideas of enlarging the fenced area to be used strictly for gardens.  The raccoons, squirrels, deer and birds can all get over the fences but Ezzy will be more apt to scare them enough within an enclosed garden area.  Hopefully then, there will be plenty for all of us..critters and humans alike!


No comments:

Post a Comment