Monday, September 10, 2012

That's for the birds!

Once in a while something just strikes me as being interesting and I start pondering all sorts of uses for it.  As Michael and I were cleaning up a bit more of the hurricane debris, we uncovered  a log that once was a tall pine tree.  It had been killed during Hurricane Katrina but was hung up in another tree and finally came crashing down during Hurricane Isaac.  I was so happy to see this tree down and now when we uncovered the remnants of the tree, I was even happier!  The log had rotted down to be nothing but the heart pine center of the tree.  It had knobs and branches poking out at all sorts of weird angles!  It was great!  In my mind, the dead tree offered endless possibilities!  In Michael's mind, the tree looked like kindling wood for the fireplace.  I liked my vision much better!



The dead tree is now destined to be added to my Dead Tree Forest! This is actually just a row of driftwood trees on either side of the board path leading to the pier. The "trees" were found in the marsh and creekbed and I cajoled Michael into lugging them up the hill.  He then set to work "planting" them so I could hang my birdfeeders from the branches!  While planting the dead trees, Michael dubbed it the "Dead Tree Forest" and the name stuck.  The current tree will be added to this row!  My birds will be happy...almost as happy as me!



It seems funny how different people can things so differently.  My creative mind always sees items as potential artsy projects while Michael's logical thinking sees the same things as necessities such as firewood!  With this tree, he and I compromised.  I could have the "branchy" pieces as posts for windchimes and birdfeeders and he could have the straight pieces to split into kindling.  I can't wait to see what I find in the next debris pile!  Perhaps some other creative project in the making!


No comments:

Post a Comment