Sunday, September 9, 2012

Thrift Store Finds!

Mark was at his best the other day!  His patience had to be stretched thin as I dragged him to the local thrift store so I could do a bit of "shopping"!  I was on a mission!  With the upcoming holiday season, I so wanted to find some really unique things to use as Halloween decorations and well, what better place than a thrift store.  I pretty much live by that old adage of "one man's trash is another man's treasure"!  The bad part is, I had no idea just what I was looking for nor had any idea if I would know it if I found it!  So, the search was on and Mark, being my chauffeur, was in for the long haul!  He never complained and even pointed out several quite interesting objects that will soon become decorations.  The best thing about shopping at a thrift store is the money saved.  Nothing is expensive so if I decide to rip an item apart to create something it is not a problem.



The shopping spree started off well with us searching through just about everything in the store.  Nothing really caught my eye as the perfect bargain.  I picked up a glass pumpkin which would definitely come in handy and a few pieces of fabric.  Then my decorating find of the day!  A candle holder!  Not that it is worth more than the dollar spent but it is just rather funky-looking and will make a great Halloween decoration if a few black candles are added.  There is just enough "creep factor" to the candlestick to imply Halloween.



Mark headed to the book section of the store while I chatted with the nice lady running the cash register.  She was sorting some donated jewelry as we visited.  A lot of the stuff was dime store stuff to start with and nothing that appealed to me as I do not wear much jewelry. There were four pieces that piqued my interest, though.  All four were heavy pieces from days past and I think appeal was merely because these pieces brought back memories.  Somewhere in the cobwebbed recesses of my brain, a memory from long ago jiggled around a bit.  A notion that I had seen one of the brooches long ago caused me have an urge to own the piece.  Four pieces later, Mark came back to the counter.  He looked at me with a whimsical grin for he knew that I would never wear the jewelry but never said a word.  I guess he was just glad that we were in the thrift store buying fifty cent pieces of jewelry instead of some high-end boutique where the same "vintage" pieces would have been priced much higher.  I clutched my bargains tightly as we headed out the store..I was happy with my finds!  Ahhh..it is always nice to have a successful shopping trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment