Friday, October 12, 2012

Decorating again!

My decorating for Halloween was put on hold for a few days as I had too many projects on hand.  Tonight, I decided that if I was going to get the Little Bayou House decked out in time for the holiday, I had better get  busy!  Both buffets have now been adorned.  Both are in keeping with the "Implied Creep" theme of an old, abandoned house.  The idea being that in this old house, things were left untouched for years!  Items are covered in spiderwebs, fabrics are in tatters and a clutter of antiques adorns the furniture tops.  Well, the spiderwebs and clutter are not hard to come by so that part was easy!



Buffet number one received a few odd items such as some ornate balls that Elizabeth had gotten a few years back and a crock of old gavels.  Standing in one corner is my "armless dude".  This is a wooden carving that had floated in with Hurricane Katrina.  The statue had been "unarmed" by the wrath of the storm but I still thought it was rather interesting.  So...it is now a part of the decorations.  Added to this are some goblets and some red votive candle cups.  Looks rather creepy and confusing but works for the deserted house look.



Buffet number two is just as cluttered!  A dead, iron clock that like the statue, went through the hurricane, sits in the center.  The hands are immovable so, it is permanently at twenty minutes past twelve.  A candelabra with black tapers and a few trinkets sets the pace.  One of my favorite items on this buffet, is a hat!  Sitting on an antique hat stand, is a black fedora with a large black feather.  This hat was made by Great Grandfather Carter who was the renowned hat-maker of Old Biloxi!  I added a glittery star from an old belt just to brighten the somber looking hat!  A couple of old tin-type photographs give a bit of eeriness to the upper shelf.



So...I feel a bit better now that I added a tad more decorations to the Little Bayou House!  Perhaps a few more will be put in place yet this evening making my spirits a bit brighter.   I still have boxes and boxes of decorations to unpack and Michael informed me today that if I do not get them up soon, it will be time to get out the Christmas decorations!  Oh, my!  I must be late!  Hurry, Hurry!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment