Sunday, October 14, 2012

Eensy Weensy Spider!

Ok, so the artsy side of me won out today and the cleaning got waylaid!  Actually, that cleaning is what inspired the bit of creativity!  Going through a box of junk, I came across a funny little wire thing that came off the front of a stereo speaker.  Why I had saved it is beyond my reasoning but we shall mark it up to one of those "I might use it later" pieces!  Here today, I finally made use of it!  Again, this is one of those "made from trash "up-cycle" art projects.  Stuff that should have been tossed long ago but somehow wound up in a box of "use it laters".



I started out by finding the wire speaker cover.  The wheels started turning in the brain...what could I do with this?   Then a plastic spider fell out of the box and liked to scared the bejeebies out of me!  Spider...wire cage thingy....ahhh...wheels were awhirring now!   With only these two, a piece of cardboard from the catfood box and a piece of paper, a project was born!  Well, a pen, some glue and a piece of string also came in handy!



I drew a simple cobweb on the paper and cut it out to the same size as the speaker cover.  I cut a circle from the cardboard in the same size.  The two were glued together.  This became the backing of the project. The plastic spider was hot-glued to the cobweb circle and this was all glued securely to the back of the speaker cover.  I added a hanger to the back.  Which by the way, was made sturdier by poking to holes in a strip of cardboard and lacing the string through the holes.  I knotted the string ends and glued the cardboard strip to the cardboard backing.  This will keep the string from coming unglued!  Pretty smart, eh?   My spider was now encased in a handy-dandy cage!  I turned it over to inspect my handiwork....what?  This will never do!  According to the stereo people that made this speaker cover, my spider was named "Pioneer"!  No!  I shall not have it!  With a little careful cutting and some lettering, my spider was renamed Bob!  (This name was randomly thrown out there by Michael when I asked for suggestions.  Sounded like a good name for a pet spider so Bob was named!)



With Bob now happily residing in his new home, I hung him along with the Halloween group of pictures in the hallway.  When I finish a few more wall hangings, the hallway will be decorated for the holiday!  I do believe I should get back to cleaning out those junk boxes...who knows what other potential decorations might lurk in there!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment