Saturday, November 3, 2012

And under all that paint.....

Back a month ago, I started pulling everything out of the sewing room.  This tiny room (it is not much bigger than a closet) held so much stuff (junk) that I could hardly open the door.  So...out came everything!   Once the room was cleared, I repainted, put down a rug and started turning it into my craft room!  Since I rarely sew, my thoughts were that I could make better use of the space.  One thing that came out of the room was an antique chifferobe.   I have two of these and was pondering just where in the world I was going to use this one once it no longer was hidden under a mountain of fabric.



Sweet Joanna, my daughter-in-law, thought she might be interested in the piece of furniture.  She had the idea of painting it black. This would definitely improve the looks of the chifferobe as it was painted the brightest of bright purple!  Darling Daughter, Elizabeth, had gone through a stage of painting anything and everything with the most shocking colors back when she was a teenager.  Why even the sewing room itself received this treatment (or maltreatment).   The four walls were four different colors...lime green, aqua, cobalt blue and true green.  The floor was a combination of all those colors as was the ceiling fan.  This bright purple cabinet sat next to an orange and silver sewing table.  The combination of these bright colors is why I opted to repaint the room once it became destined to be my craft nook.  I toned down the hues by painting the walls red!  Now, that should tell you something!  If red is toning down something...the other colors must have been brilliant..and they were!



Anyway, there was no way that I was going to send this piece home with Sweet Joanna while it was intense purple!  I dragged the piece outside and started work.  All of the old paint was stripped from the wood.  I should say...all nine coats of paint were removed!  Yep, this cabinet had been painted eight times before Darling Elizabeth wielded the purple-laden paint brush upon it!  Now that the paint has been removed, the cabinet looks so much better!  It is ready for whatever, Sweet Joanna wishes to do with it!  I am just thankful that she is considering using the piece.  Now...back to that sewing room....errr...craft room!  I wonder what else I can part with to make more space?????


No comments:

Post a Comment