Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Family that Plays Together....

Early this morning, I headed to the pier by myself.  Ms. Ez decided that it was far to foggy for her to venture outside so she snuggled back down in her bed and let me go alone.  She was having no part of that cool, damp trek!  Usually I welcome her company but this morning I was just as happy that she made the decision to stay put.  As I headed down the pier, I could hear never-ending splashing near the shoreline.  Wondering just what I might find floundering around near the marsh, I tread lightly.  I did not want my presence known too soon.  If Ez had been along for the hike, she would have likely scared off whatever critter was busy hunting breakfast this foggy morn.



Once I reached the water's edge, I saw the familiar churning of waters that only the otters could make.  The family of five were so busy catching minnows that they did not even realize that I was so near.  Up, down, up down...the splish-splashing of the little feet and tails was quite comical!  Mama Otter was teaching her pups the fine art of cornering and catching the bull minnows that hung close to the marsh.  I watched for a good twenty minutes as the otter family inched ever closer.  I was sure that at any moment Mama Otter would sense my presence and send up the alert to her pups.  I suppose the fog shrouded not only the sight of me but also maybe somehow dulled my scent to the point that she had no clue that I was within five feet of her little ones.  I filmed their playtime for a few minutes before they ventured far down the shoreline only to be engulfed by the fog.  This..this is one of the reasons that I love my Bayou!

No comments:

Post a Comment