Monday, November 5, 2012

Thinking of "Momie".....

Every now and again, a person just has to have a most relaxing day..a day where you enjoy what you do when you do it..a day with no rush, no stress and no turmoil..a day spent with family and good friends.  I had that day.  I must admit the morning started with a bit of a rush as I leapt out of bed and rushed to pull on jeans and a flannel shirt.  I knew there would be a gorgeous sunrise this morning and I wanted to have a front row seat!  Overnight there were lots of clouds and a slight rain which in turn usually means the reds and oranges of dawn would be vibrant.  I was not disappointed!



The pier was a mite wet and cold but that could not dampen my enthusiasm for the day.  As I sat there staring out over the water, a gentle memory pushed its way into my mind.  Mark's grandmother (we called her Momie) and I used to talk everyday.  If I did not go to visit her then our conversations were over the telephone.  We never missed a day during the entire time that I knew her.  During these conversations, we discussed just about everything under the sun but somewhere during that conversation she would invariably mention how she was thankful for another day.  The lady was in her eighties when I met her and we kept this routine until she passed in her mid nineties.  In all of those hundreds and hundreds of conversations...never once did she miss being thankful for the day.  When she stayed with us for a spell after being ill, I was impressed with her morning routine of thanking God for allowing her to wake to the beautiful morning. To her it did not matter if the day was rainy or sunny, hot or cold...she was thankful for the day.



My sunrise vigil was the start of a wonderful day as I kept thinking of Momie and her wise words.  I miss this dear lady but somehow feel she was with me this morning.  Maybe...just maybe...she was there with me watching the sunrise and whispering how thankful she was for the day!  I am thankful for the chance to view the sunrise and the start of a new day...and for a most relaxing day!


No comments:

Post a Comment