Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Rattling Call, Incredible Speed...The Belted Kingfisher!

   Belted Kingfishers are rather skittish birds.  They are shy and tend to stay away from people if at all possible.  Add their incredible speed and you can easily see why the birds are notoriously difficult to photograph.  This makes the "hunt" interesting.  Sometimes the only indication that a kingfisher is in the area is its call.  The bird is usually solitary and only meets up with another during breeding season.  

  One thing that is a bit unusual about the Belted Kingfishers is that the female is more brightly colored than the male.  If you see one with an extra "belt" of rust color across its chest, that is the female.  Males lack this and are only blue and white.  There is some question as to why the female is more colorful since this is not the norm.  Usually, male birds are brightly colored to attract females and the females are muted as to stay hidden while on the nest.  What gives with the kingfishers?  


  One explanation that seems most logical is, that since kingfishers are highly territorial, the rust-colored band gives a resident male a clue that he need not defend his territory but should welcome the visitor.  When in the midst of many battles with other (intruder) males, that bit of color is sort of like a flag.  The male can easily distinguish the female as a possible mate instead of an interloper.

  This morning, I heard the rattling call of a kingfisher near the pier.  Determined to get my photograph, I plunked myself down and waited.  I was rewarded when a female bird landed on a tall pole on my brother's pier.  Ahh!  I had to be quick!  I snapped exactly one picture before the bird dove into the water, snatched a fish and flew to a nearby pine tree.  She was gone...but I had my picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment