Saturday, November 25, 2023

Holiday Visitors....Critter Style!

   I have to admit that this time of year is a favorite.  This is not necessarily due to the hustle and bustle of the holidays (something I could do without and be totally happy) but rather that visitors of the critter sort come to visit.  The Bayou seems to attract ducks like a magnet attracts iron.  Seeing the wild assortment of ducks migrating here never ceases to thrill me to the core.  I am not sure why but they just do.  Perhaps it is because if wildlife is drawn to the area, that means the area is still pure enough for life to continue.  This may not be the case for long with the influx of people that have suddenly converged on the area but, for now, my friends have come...and I am happy to see them.


  On a whim, I quit baking cookies and Mark and I took a hike to the pier.  As soon as I stepped on the first plank, a surprise was noticed.  The Hoodies are here!  A dozen or more Hooded Mergansers were huddled beneath the pier!  I eased my way down the pier trying to step easy and not make the planks sound like thundering xylophone!  The birds still heard me and started gradually swimming out into the open water.  This was when I noticed dozens more to my left!  Oh, my!  The Hoodies brought family and friends!  Last year, we only had perhaps ten but, this year, there were at least twice that many!!


  Not wanting to scare my friends, Mark and I just casually walked to the end of the pier as if we did not even notice the ducks.  They did skitter across the water a bit but soon settled back down just to stare back at us.   Welcome to the Bayou, my friends.  Please feel free to stay as long as you please!  This...this is my type of holiday season!  Critter friends are the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment