Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Happy Roses

   A month ago, we had several hard freezes for this far south.  The temperatures dropped into the teens which seems frigid to us.  We are not accustomed to such weather!  The usual preparations were made for us to "hunker down" against the cold.  An extra stockpile of firewood for the woodstoves, lights in the pumphouse, bushels of citrus fruits picked and plants moved into the greenhouse (even though it was a makeshift shelter).  Normally since these freezes do not last long, I never think about moving rose bushes to warmer areas but I had a dozen or so cuttings in pots that were just starting to do well so, in they went.  I promptly forgot about them as they hid among the hundred or so other plants.  

  Imagine my surprise when I found that those tiny plants were not only thriving but blooming!  Yep!  Several of the small plants were showing their appreciation for the snug shelter by setting lovely blooms!  It was a welcome sight among the normal drear of winter.

  This week, the weather seems like spring so the plants will all return to the proper "summer" spots and I shall hope for the best.  The temporary greenhouse will be deconstructed and stowed just in case it is needed next year.  The plants will be on their own for the next ten months or so.  Hopefully, the overwintering will give these roses that needed boost to flourish.  Also, hopefully, this is not a "false" spring and I will regret my moves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment