Saturday, February 17, 2024

Mysterious Photographs!

   Growing up, I had it drilled into my head that usable items should not be discarded.  "You had better keep that as you may need it some day."  Yes, this has resulted in a good bit of stowed "may need" things but often they do, indeed, come in handy.  I have found that it is far wiser to reuse items than to buy new just to avoid clutter.  I guess since I do a lot of remakes for the clue hunts (which will hopefully happen again this October!), my stash of saved items is more of a logical aspect of how to create without cost.  

  Yesterday, I was cleaning out our toolroom when I came across a box containing old...really old...picture frames.  Thinking the frames were wonderfully pretty, I set them on the table with the idea of reframing some photographs that were in more modern frames.  The antique ones fit the look of the Little Bayou House far better than anything new.  Later, I noticed that two of the frames had a faded blue paper where the picture should go.  I took the frames apart only to find that behind those pieces of paper, there were two very old photographs!  Wow!  How long have those been hidden...and....why?  



  The first photo is of a lovely lady with a very handsome dog.  If I had to guess, the picture was probably taken around the early 1900's (judging by the lady's dress).  I really have no clue as to who this lady is but simply adore the mystery surrounding her!  There are a few scribbles on the front with U love in bold.  I cannot make out a name unless...U. Love is it?  Doubtful.  The other frame held a photograph of a rather handsome gentleman and appears to be around the same era.  Although the picture is quite faded,  it does have a name!  J. H. Enochs is written on the back but nary a date can be found.  I do know the Enochs were quite a prominent family in Biloxi, MS.  I found information on Byrd Enochs (1875-1940) and his wife, Cora Elmer Enochs (1878-1962) but not J.H.  I wonder if J. H. was a brother of Byrd's?  Cousin?  

  Now I want to dig through the other piles of frames and see if any have hidden photographs!  The mysteries of the Little Bayou House deepen!  How, why and when??  How did I come in possession of these photographs?  When were they actually taken??  And, especially, why were they hidden?  (My guess on that is to maybe prevent the pictures from fading over time...maybe not.)  So...finding treasures hidden inside of treasures is exciting and I really should investigate more!  Also, think about it...had I thrown the frames in the trash, a bit of history would have perished. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment